Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 252

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: electrical wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Kev, you're right! I didn't notice which forum this was in.

Posted on: 12/7 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The only exceptions being if someone replaced the block when it was nearly new... the new one would have no number, but could have been re-stamped in the past. Not that it would matter at this point to anyone.

For 55 cars, if using a 320 engine from a Nash or Hudson you can likewise re stamp it because they stamped their engine number in a different place, though no 1956 Packards used the 320.

Posted on: 12/8 6:00
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
What number are you referring to here? The only plate on the driver's door jamb has the car's serial number, and paint and trim codes, no engine number. Are you saying the serial number and engine number should match? I have 3-1956 Packards, and they don't match on any of them, and the engine in my Canadian Executive is certainly original.

Posted on: 12/8 12:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The number on the same door jamb plate that has the trim and pain codes is the official vehicle number. After years of Packard production where the numbers were different, the 55-56 models had the motor number match the vehicle number. If the engine is original to the car the vehicle number on the car (567x-xxxx) will be the same as the number stamped in one of the two locations shown in the photo of the engine.

Posted on: 12/8 12:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Please see this PDF. The engine casting number, "Utica" number (if present), and vehicle number are all separate.

What I'm referring to is that in the front of the engine, right in front of the valley pan, should be the vehicle number (same as the driver's door jamb number). If these two numbers don't match, either the car was engine swapped or VIN swapped, no other possibility.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2727

Posted on: 12/8 15:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
Finally found engine numbers on both Executive engines, and both match serial number of cars, so both are original. Found that it helps if you look in the right place- you said front of engine, I read rear- my stupidity. Now I'm going to say that the car that came from the U.S. was built with Delco electrics- can't imagine that someone would change starter, generator and regulator, but I guess anything is possible. I'll take a closer look at the regulator mounting to see if I can tell if there ever was an Autolite reg. mounted. Also. this car has a Rochester carb instead of Carter. Thanks to all who were part of this discussion, and for the advice.

Posted on: 12/8 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For 1956, the Customs used 352ci 9.5 compression engines (same as the other Clippers) except the carb was a Carter WCFB (4 barrel) instead of a WGD (2 barrel). Whereas Packard used 374's at 10 compression, and Rochester.

However, in 1955 the Customs shared the Packard engine -- a 352 ci 8.5 compression with a Rochester carb, and Delco accessories. So, though per the service book a Rochester is not correct for a 1956 Clipper engine, it will work just fine. In fact, that's what my 400 has on it. The engine is from a 56 Super, but has a Rochester carb. Curiously, the Custom and Packard engines don't have the same HP rating even though it's the same engine and carburetion (245 vs. 260). I don't know why.

Does the Delco car have a very high or low serial number? They may have changed how they were fitting out the engines for whatever reason -- they would have known the stuff would work, since they used it in '55.

Posted on: 12/8 16:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well, technically all the cars came from the US. The Packard plant in Windsor, Ontario Canada shut down a few years before the war.

Posted on: 12/8 16:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
Last 4 digits of the Executive which sold originally in U.S. is 1195, as is the engine number. I realize the other car was built in the U.S., but it sold originally in Sydney, Nova Scotia. The other thing I noticed was when I removed the Ultramatic from this car, it has "export" written on the ring gear plate- don't know if there is any trans difference or not- ring gear plates look identical on both cars.

Posted on: 12/8 16:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Many of the exports cars were lower compression for poorer quality fuels in some export regions. Also they had different gear ratios, some had HD springs for poorer roads, etc.

Posted on: 12/8 16:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved