Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Filtration
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Where can a guy get a oil filter canister for a ‘49 288 ci engine as I heard that not all have oil filters from the factory (are you kidding me???🤔)
Merry Christmas by the way! 🎄

Posted on: 12/10 10:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Filtration
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, they were considered an accessory all the way through '54.

Most of the Packard vendors should have them.

Check with Gerry at Packards Southwest or Mike Chirco at Tucson Packard.

Posted on: 12/10 10:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And when you get the filter be sure to hook it up correctly. Your 288 in that year will probably have solid lifters and if so, the illustration on page 56 in this service counselor shows how.

The upper port on the side of the block is the only feed to the valve lifter gallery and must receive oil either thru the small curved pigtail tube or thru the filter. For engines with optional hydraulic lifters all their oil supply going thru the filter first can cause a low oil flow and volume issue so be aware of that if you start having intermittent noisy lifter problems.

Later 288/327 blocks incorporated the 356 with hydraulic lifters oil flow path with the pigtail feeding the lifters and restricting oil to the filter plus added a port so filter return oil dropped directly into the crankcase instead of going to the lifter gallery.

Posted on: 12/10 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Make sure to get the correct splitter block for it that has one port partially restricted.

It has a one input and three outputs. One for the guage, one for the lifter pigtail feed and the restricted one which goes to the filter.

There should be a pipe plug on the block near the oil pan and that is where the return from the oil filter connects.

Posted on: 12/10 15:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
There should be a pipe plug on the block near the oil pan and that is where the return from the oil filter connects

Exactly when this port was added is a question. It does not appear to be there for the 22nd series since there is no mention of using it in the December 48 published instructions for installing the filter. It could have been added at the mid 49 introduction of the 23rd series as optional hydraulic lifters on the 288/327 blocks were becoming more common. Several have thought the port might not have arrived until the 24th series 51 models when they did new castings of the block to add holes for the side motor mounts.

Posted on: 12/10 16:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
THANKS. GUYS! Gonna run out and get one before I change the oil, after I rebuild the fuel pump.

Posted on: 12/10 16:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Hey can you post a link for those two sellers? Thanks!

Posted on: 12/10 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It also is only going to be a partial filter, not gaining much. I wouldn't bother, if you're not driving it much. They got along just fine without them, you adapt. Plus you'll have to clean the sludge from the pan before you install. We're talking motor oil selling for <25 cents/qt in '49, so can't save much money with filter investment on oil changes in the day. Bulk oil was available too. Those antique glass oil bottles were used for that. I packaged and sold bulk in the '70s. Now it's special this or that, and "synthetic" BS. You can get after market full filter cartridge units but may require some surgery at least some plumbing. Full oil filters didn't become standard until well into the late '50s early '60s. Cadillac changed in '61 with an engine redesign. My '58 is partial. You're 10+ years to soon.

Posted on: 12/10 16:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tucson Packard has a website but Packards Southwest does not and you need to send an email or call.

https://www.tucsonpackard.com

Attach file:

jpg  Packard Southwest.jpg (84.74 KB)
209_657640e916619.jpg 2092X404 px

Posted on: 12/10 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved