Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lights in the head
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
Guys just one more question…….
Will the wagner brand H6006 halogen headlamps work in a ‘49 std 8 car? The bulbs are supposed to be 6 volt halogen bulbs.
Thanks guys!!

Posted on: 12/10 20:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Lights in the head
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They should. I couldn't find specs on the Wagner bulb but here is another brand and I suspect they would be close. At 50 watts Halogens have a slightly higher wattage than the original incandescents at 45 watts. Each Halogen bulb pulls close to 8 amps on hi beam while the stock bulb pulls just over 7 amps. If the circuit breaker has not lost much capacity as it aged it should hold OK but there are several other bulbs pulling current thru the breaker that will also be on at the same time. If headlights start cycling off after a few minutes and then back on and then off again the circuit breaker on the headlight switch should be replaced with a new one. New 30 amp self resetting breakers of the same stud mount and connect type are available at most parts stores.

With the fairly long run of stock wiring and the heavier current going thru the headlight and dimmer switches that could dim the output a bit and stress the old switches. Some have added relays in the circuit to power the bulbs directly from the battery via a shorter but separate heavier gauge power wire and a dedicated headlight breaker. That helps to lower any light output loss and takes the stress out of the old breaker and switches and most of the old wire.

Attach file:

jpg  H6006.jpg (143.65 KB)
209_6576726d6b635.jpg 1922X602 px

Posted on: 12/10 21:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Any 7" round with the right prongs will work/fit. I have a halo set for the '49 but another brand. I think I have some incandescents. Not many choices in this size.
Check your wiring before you just assume it's OK.

Posted on: 12/14 9:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Yes, they will work. I installed these in my 49 and they work great. Love them.

Attach file:

jpg  6006.jpg (21.73 KB)
226377_657b7c2c1fa59.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 12/14 17:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved