Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

BigKev, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 120 Choke Coil Linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I'm looking for the linkage from the automatic choke coil to the carburetor for my 1937 138CD (Stromberg carburetor). This will be the same as for a 120.

The car has had a manual choke since at least 1960 when my dad bought it. I was able to get a NOS choke coil thanks to Flackmaster, but I still need the linkage from the coil to the carburetor.

Does anyone have this or leads on who may have it? Flackmaster is looking, but no luck yet.

Posted on: 12/23 15:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Choke Coil Linkage
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello Don,
I will check my parts stock when I am home after Christmas, I think I may have one. Is the carby an EE16?
Regards Pepe

Posted on: 12/24 3:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Quote:

pepepackard wrote:
Hello Don,
I will check my parts stock when I am home after Christmas, I think I may have one. Is the carby an EE16?
Regards Pepe

I believe it’s the EE14.

Posted on: 12/24 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
For some clarity, I’m looking for the linkage that connects where circled in the photo. The other end would go to the automatic choke coil in the exhaust manifold. It is for a Stromberg EE14 carburetor. You can see the manual choke cable connected there now.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/24 18:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello Don,
I need the length of the rod, is it threaded on the choke end with a threaded fork? a right angle bend on the manifold end
Regards Fred

Posted on: 12/27 4:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Quote:

pepepackard wrote:
Hello Don,
I need the length of the rod, is it threaded on the choke end with a threaded fork? a right angle bend on the manifold end
Regards Fred

I'll need some help from someone else on this. I have no idea. My car is off being worked on and I can't get to it. Even then, I have never seen the linkage and don't know what it actually looks like as it was never on the car in the time my dad had it (going back to 1960). The owner prior to that installed the manual choke.

Can anyone take a picture and post it here?

Posted on: 12/27 12:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello Don,
I have asked a local member that owns a 1936 convertible sedan to send me a photo (image ) of his link from the exhaust manifold to the choke butterfly, if it has one.
The problem with the original was was that they corroded and froze up.
I will let you know if I have any luck.
Regards Pepe,

Posted on: 12/28 3:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 12/28 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it's worth, there is a description of the automatic choke operation and a somewhat broken up partial linkage illustration in section 3, page 24 of the 37 120 sales data book. No idea if the carb is the same and the way linkage is drawn and presented, may not be much help but maybe worth a look.

Motors Manual also had partial illustrations and a few bits of info regarding the Stromberg auto choke and linkage. Here are a couple of pages from the Eleventh edition.

Attach file:

jpg  stromberg1.jpg (633.56 KB)
209_658d92afe8d42.jpg 1200X799 px

jpg  stromberg2.jpg (596.41 KB)
209_658d92bab2171.jpg 1200X804 px

Posted on: 12/28 9:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You might contact Stromberg, they're still kicking, and may have a solution of something current that might work. ie, My standard Stromberg parts comment.

Might be one of those things were you're better off with the manual choke and why it was changed back in the day/if it didn't come that way... Is there a service bulletin out there? Manual chokes were quite the easy/best method back in the day. I used to have to go out under the hood in the cold and jam a screwdriver down the plate when the spring stayed shut due to inclement weather conditions. I would've liked a manual. Infinitely adjustible, where these mechanicals are "iffy".

I went through this on a choke 'modifier'. I got all the parts all the way from New Zealand, and it was "original" but wasn't worth the powder to blew it up. One of those "advancements" that was quickly ushered off the world stage. I went with an electric for next to nothing in cost. One of those be careful what you ask for things.

Posted on: 12/28 12:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved