Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Gary Kulp, Aladoc, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Want period looking (1940s) vacuum gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Have checked Summit Racing, who often have good stuff, but most are pricey with mixed reviews. All i want is a good-sized, three-inch diameter or so, vacuum gauge I can see while driving, with a 6-volt bulb. Please, no surmises. No junk. No fix its. No "you getcha a..."

If you know who has one, are using one yourself, or have one for sale, please PM me.

Happy New Year.

Posted on: 1/1 0:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Want period looking (1940s) vacuum gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I don't use nor recommend a vacuum gauge inside (nor prone to leak mechanical oil pressure.) I keep a 1" plumbed up in the engine compartment for carbed/vacuum actuated vehicles. Only need for troubleshooting/tuning - won't tell you much while driving, you'll most likely just get confused. They're inexpensive, < $25, oil filled, and only require a vacuum tee and a few inches of tubing, zip tie. I think you be happier with that approach, if you're flexible.
It's a 'figment' of the past thinking. Lots oof old myths have been dispelled in he automotive realm. That's why they no longer use it as an engine monitor.
My usual preventative maintenance schedule is replace all vacuum tubing every 5 years, like most rubber parts; belts, hoses.

If you want gauge to go inside you either have to drill a larger hole/grommet to feed the vacuum tube inside or install a transducer and run wiring. Response time will go down with a long tubing and more places for vacuum leaks. Response time is why they got away from pneumatic instruments in favor of electronic except for some special needs. You'll need a bezel for mounting or a gauge hole cutter. All that will raise the price to several hundreds which cost seems to be an issue.
Stewart Warner would be the period gauge du jour, they make a 2 5/8 dial series(auto) but the light is 12 vdc,(not req'd to work) since 6VDC was passe late '50s. So you'd have some "engineering" to do to make it 6V. The transducer is 12 V too. You can get a 6 to 12 convertor/more wiring. Lots of moving parts for something not adding value, but to each his own.

Posted on: 1/1 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Good points. Thought it'd be nice, but i draw the line at an altimeter. I'd hang it from bottom of dash or on the steering column mounted period Stewart-Warner 4,500 rpm tach, an option in many cars in the late '40s, early '50s.

Avantis left the factory with vacuum gauges, as did many other cars, usually higher end, or sport/GT cars. You may recall many new cars in the '70s had vacuum gauges tho' with colored areas, no numbers, for fuel economy after the '73 oil embargo.

Posted on: 1/1 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Avanti gauge was a combo type which measured vacuum and pressure. They were fitted for the supercharged cars and kept for the normally aspirated ones. At least that was the way it was on my 1963 non-supercharged model.

Posted on: 1/2 13:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When I checked ebay yesterday and searched for car vintage vacuum gauge several 50s style vacuum gauges were available. Some were vacuum only and a couple of others had the vacuum/pressure scales.

Posted on: 1/2 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
https://web.archive.org/web/20110813131600/http://avantisource.com/manual814.html

Not sure what year this was. Wasn't noted.
That was a dash pod mounted gauge, not stand alone/add on and I think Avanti were all 12 VDC by then. '40s is 6 VDC.
You really don't need positive pressure unless it's a boost gauge for super or turbo charging or downshifting to slow. To each his own. Gets no "points" from me. Wish U luck in your search for such a gauge. It can be done, maybe just not like you desire nor at your price point. My opinion.

Posted on: 1/4 12:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved