Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carburetor
Just popping in
Just popping in

Talemon
See User information
What carburetor came on the post war straight 8 ? What carb have you used …Holley , stromberg ? Has anyone tried to use aftermarket 2 bbl fuel injection ? I don’t have an original carb so I have options

Posted on: 2/5 9:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
See the specifications section of the respective service manual for the list.

Examplehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/archive/content.php?op=&catID=10&ContentID=4

Posted on: 2/5 9:37
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Talemon

The short answer is Carter 2BBL models WDO & WGD, and Carter 4BBL model WCFB. As for fuel injection: Yes we have at least one forum member that has converted to a Holley Sniper 2BBL. If you go with FI expect that a conversion to 12V NG will help, and you will need to fabricate a manifold to carburetor adaptor. Otherwise, the feedback was quite positive. I seem to remember an iterative tuning cycle to ‘fatten-up’ the start schedule.

dp

Posted on: 2/5 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I have the stock Carter WCFB 4 bbl carburetor on my 53 Cavalier and it's been working well. I think I remember seeing somewhere that you can get better fuel economy with the 4 bbl than the 2 bbl, if you're not driving too aggressively.

Posted on: 2/5 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Back when I used to frequently drive a 1953 Clipper Deluxe with 2brl and the 1954 Patrician with 4brl, I also noticed that the Patrician got better mileage.

Posted on: 2/5 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Ah, the mysterious carburetor. What a "rube goldberg" contraption.

The problem with carburetors is that the carburetor you need at idle is completely different than the one you need for acceleration and different again from the one you need at high constant speed. Trying to satisfy these various conflicting demands led to many complicated solutions, some of which worked better than others.

At idle, the engine requires a small amount of a rich fuel/air mixture. On acceleration, the engine requires a large amount of a rich fuel/air mixture. At high speed, the engine requires a moderate amount of a lean fuel/air mixture.

At high speed, a two barrel carb is pulling air/fuel through both barrels. These barrels are much larger than the engine needs because they must satisfy the acceleration phase so they are not as efficient as they could be. At high speed, a four barrel carburetor is only operating on two barrels. These two are smaller than the two barrels on a two barrel carb and more in line with what the engine needs. So this phase is more efficient resulting in better fuel economy in highway driving.

While driving around town where acceleration is required, the four barrel is operating on all four barrels, increasing the air/fuel mixture. The four barrel carb allows more air/fuel flow than the two barrel leading to better acceleration. However, this results in worse fuel consumption in stop & go driving.

If you look at different carburetors, you can see how different manufacturers tried to satisfy the various engine requirements. The hard part is getting this to happen automatically. It really took the advent of small computers to truly automate the fuel system.

Why did Packard (and other manufacturers) offer both a two barrel and a four barrel? Money, it is more expensive to manufacture the more complicated four barrel. Not only the cost of the carburetor need to be considered but other changes to the intake and exhaust systems need to be made in order to take advantage of the four barrels greater efficiency.

Posted on: 2/9 12:23
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved