Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

!955 400- Bleeding the brakes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fainacci556
See User information
Hello to all. I just had my mechanic replace the master cylinder/power booster on a very nice 1955 400. Good item from Kantor, as usual. My guy is having trouble bleeding the system, says he can't get fluid from the wheel cylinders. This may be a dopey question, but is there something special we must do on these systems? Thanks MC

Posted on: 2/16 10:34
 Top  Print   

Re: !955 400- Bleeding the brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
First off, never had a 55 Packard. I have done a 37, as well as a 67 Mustang, 58 Pontiac, 77 Lemans, 78 Monte Carlo, 2008 Sky and a 2011 Cadillac
That said, I have found when replacing a master it is always best to bench bleed the master and then proceed to bleed the brakes. Air trapped in the master cylinder will prevent it from filling the lines to the wheel cylinders.
My brother and father-in-law were real mechanics and had a proper bleeder attachment that mounted to the master and was charged with shop air and was able to fill the system quickly that way, if he has that he can likely side step the bench bleed.
Hope that helps,
Bob J.

Posted on: 2/16 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
There is nothing special to it.
I replaced every component of the hydraulics, hooked up a power bleeder and the system bled like any other.

Posted on: 2/16 11:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fainacci556
See User information
Gentlemen thanks

Posted on: 2/16 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I always use a pressure bleeder and there is no difference in bleeding the brakes in a Packards as in any other car. If no fluid is getting through, then maybe a plugged line or possibly even a plugged bleeder valve on the wheel cylinder, the latter of which happen on one of my cars a few years ago. Of course, the flex hoses, which can look nice on the outside, are known to collapse internally and can block flow.

Posted on: 2/16 12:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Recently replaced the master cylinder and most of the brake lines and all four of the wheel cylinders in my 56 Patrician. My issue was the rubber brake hose from the hard brake line, going to the T fitting on the rear axle. The rubber hose was collapsed on the inside. Replaced it and the brakes bled with ease. The hose looked fine on the outside.

Posted on: 2/16 16:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fainacci556
See User information
Many thanks to all who responded

Posted on: 2/17 7:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved