Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 163

moodydavid16, todd landis, bernhard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Cavalier generator fan belt
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
We recently acquired a 54 Cavalier and have experienced charging issues. It will only charge up to 6.2 volts even after new vr and generator installed. Our latest idea is the belt. The current belt has these numbers, Carquest 7417xl and also has the Gates number 11A1055. It seems the tension is a little light and will not adjust any tighter. Does anyone have a number for a little smaller belt that works on a 54 327?Thanks

Posted on: 3/2 15:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Cavalier generator fan belt
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Was your new regulator checked & adjusted?

Parts Cross Reference shows a AC Delco 15410 fan belt without PS and a 15460 with PS.

Posted on: 3/2 16:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks so much! I did not test it but just took it out of the box and polarized as per the directions. Might figure how to do that but I think regardless the current belt is not tight enough.

Posted on: 3/2 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also make sure something didn't get swapped so an incorrect pulley is in use somewhere. The belt must be wide enough to have the outside edge run at the outer edge of all the pulleys and not down in the groove. If for example a generator or any other pulley off an engine that used a wider belt is installed on a narrower belt engine, the mismatch will cause the belt to be running too low and will have your exact symptom.

Posted on: 3/2 17:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If the generator was replaced, check that the pulley was the same as the old one.

Posted on: 3/2 18:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
It would help if someone could give me the number off the belt currently working properly on their 327 with p/s. I think the current one, carquest 7417xl/gates 11a1055 is slightly too large.

Posted on: 3/3 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
This is on my 53 Cavalier, no power steering. Probably not very helpful..... Both my Cavalier and my 53 Patrician parts car have manual steering. Both Cdn cars and I guess power steering was too frivolous!

Click to see original Image in a new window

If your pulley was changed, as previously mentioned, and is smaller, that could make a "correct" size belt too long and cause slippage due to less traction on the smaller pulley. Somebody might have put a smaller pulley so the generator spun faster for puttering around town. Just guessing.

Posted on: 3/3 15:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks for going to the trouble but ours does have p/s and thus it is a different belt.

Posted on: 3/3 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tommy, a good parts house will be able to tell the length of your belt from the number, or by measuring it with a gauge. Just get one slightly smaller and this should do it. Also verify it is the correct width. Take care, John

Posted on: 3/4 13:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved