Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 171

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: V8 Engine Disassembly, Inspection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Simply remove the big heavy washer under the bolt head and then screw the original bolt back in. The puller can push against the bolt, and the bolt head will neatly pass through the hole in the pulley when the washer is not there. If you have PS, you will have to pry that pulley off. They usually come easily.

Posted on: 3/27 6:04
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Do you have to remove the lower flywheel cover to remove the oil pan? If so, is it possible/safe to mount the engine only bolted into the upper half of the bolts?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/2 7:44
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes , and yes. More worrisome is the short legs on your stand hardly come past the CG of the engine. Might want to extend them.

Posted on: 4/2 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
For safety sake you need to take the engine off the stand and remove the bellhousing and flywheel and bolt the stand to the back of the engine. Dell

Posted on: 4/2 10:01

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You have an accident there just waiting to happen. As mentioned, the legs need to be extended passed the engine and with two mounts, you’re probably okay as long as you don’t rotate it. As soon as you do, it will likely bend and tip over or even break off. You don’t need to attach it to the bottom as you show it but at least you need all the arms attached somewhere for it to be stable.

Posted on: 4/2 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks everyone. So it's OK to attach the engine with the lower flywheel cover left off. I'll get it hoisted up again and remove the flywheel cover, flywheel, and oil pan.

I'll double check the CG. Should be able to find some angle iron or something to stick in there and extend it a bit.

By the way, you should see the original stand we tried using. Surprisingly it held through we never lowered the lift any more than to take off the weight. It won't surprise you to learn that disassembling that stand later required a long ratchet to crank out the leg bolts.

(BTW the wood on the front was off the ground.)
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 4/2 11:17
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Now THAT is scary!

Posted on: 4/2 11:22
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
By the way, will the lower flywheel cover get in the way of anything else? If not, I'll just re-attach it after pulling the flywheel and oil pan.

Posted on: 4/2 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ok, I got the odd-bank (driver side) head off. The cylinders are not overbored, but the OD is about 5 thou above nominal for all four (3.817). Measured carefully near the top of the bore with bore gauges and a good outside mic.

The valves mostly feel good but there's a couple that are a bit loose. 7 thou play on one and 10 thou play on the other.

Though I'm not against making repairs that are strictly necessary, I'm not trying to go full rebuild/restoration on this engine. So, I would appreciate any input from knowledgeable people on what the ramifications are of these things being a bit worn out.

Likewise I want to give all the internals a good cleaning. I imagine some type of wire brush and cleaning agent would do the trick but any specifics are appreciated. There is a lot of carbon buildup.

P.S. installed some safety pipes. Though it's nearly 200 lbs to lift the rear wheels off the ground.

IMAGES HERE
https://ibb.co/dGNhKFZ
https://ibb.co/7vXDYhW
https://ibb.co/5kWxDSN
https://ibb.co/zfQvRrf

Posted on: 4/7 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Of course, it can’t all be good news. On the other head, I have a broken+stuck intake valve along and some of the exhaust manifold bolts either snapped off or stripped trying to get them out.

Posted on: 4/7 19:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved