Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Packard 288 dual 12V/6V cranking battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Does anyone have a source for these?

Posted on: 3/20 10:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Packard 288 dual 12V/6V cranking battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
You're better served with good grounds, 00 (double aught) battery cables ends crimped and soldered, using a battery disconnect switch--Cole Hersee brass marine grade available online or at any NAPA store is fine -- and an Optima six-volt Red Top 800 cold cranking amp battery. Don't reinvent the wheel. Your Packard started and operated fine when it left the dealer. Two words to remember: "Factory standard."

Posted on: 3/20 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I was thinking of using a 12V positive ground alternator, 2 6V batteries in series and simply placing the cranking cable on the middle posts.

12V for an AC.

Posted on: 3/20 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Why on earth? One (1) 6-volt Optima has enough to spin my '47's nine-main-bearing, 7.5:1 compression 356-ci engine; it will easily spin a 327, let alone a 288. (800) 426-7580, Jim's Battery Manufacturing, Youngstown, OH, has a 6-volt, 55-amp, positive ground alternator, bolt in, no butchering whatsoever. Tell Jim and Dolores that Mike, '47 Super Clipper, Walnut Creek, CA and Hans, '47 Custom Super, British Columbia referred you.

Weight is the enemy. Why do you want to drive around with a pair of off-gassing, leaky, wet, h e a v y batteries? I got almost a decade each from my last two Optimas, know of a '41 Cad that went 14 years. C-Tek UC 800 trickle charger is the one you want. An Optima tech so recommended in the late '90s, no regrets since.

Yours stick and overdrive? Had a '51 200 40-48 years ago. Good ergonomics, good road cars, esp. w/ stick/OD, drab as an ordnance vehicle within. Even w/ that lock up Dynaflow, "Uncle" Tom McCahill preferred it over the 400 Patrician. Yours is a relatively light two-door. Jettison every pound. Spray everything you can with oil to protect from Charleston's salt air.

And you don't need cupholders. Just fill the sliding metal glovebox with ice and some long straws.

Posted on: 3/20 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t have a source but I do have a 6/12 relay that was made for the purpose. It’s in the Classified Ads under Accessories on my Packard / IMPERIAL page linked below.

Posted on: 3/20 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a centered tapped 12 volt automotive battery, but the idea of using two Optima 6 volt units is definitely one way to make one. There is some advice in this site about using two batteries in series, that is; 1) the same type i.e. group number are used, and 2) the two batteries are roughly the same age. If the battery box in your ’51 is the same as used in a ’54 Cavalier, then two Optima’s will fit just fine. . . however you’ll need to fabricate a ‘custom’ hold-down.

The comments about 6 volt positive ground systems working adequately are well founded. Perhaps you can let us know what you are trying to accomplish by switching to 12 volt positive ground while retaining the 6 volt power to the starter motor . . . and perhaps other un-identified systems, such as the OEM radio. If the voltage swap is only to run an AC, then we’ve got at least one example (my ’54) that is a 6+ car that has an AC installed. I suggest you search this site on ‘air condition’, and review the thread titled ‘Aftermarket Air Conditioning’. So far, we’ve kicked-around mounting brackets, suitability of using a 12 volt clutch coil, but have left the subject of the evaporator fans alone . . . at least up to this point.

dp

Posted on: 3/20 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a centered tapped 12 volt automotive battery

I had one back in the '60s which was probably from JC Whitney. Relatively common then but not today! It wasn't exactly a center-tapped 12v but rather was two small 6v together in one case. When starting, the relay connected them in series and while running they were in parallel.

Posted on: 3/20 23:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved