Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 199

Ross, happy, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fast idle spring search
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I am having trouble sourcing a fast idle spring for my Carter WDO 512s. A replacement wasn't in a kit I had purchased and a mishap and leaves caused me to lose the original. (magnet searches unfruitful) I have searched many of the usual suspects but maybe I missed something. I found another that is not specific to this Carter carb but it's a gamble as to whether the size i close enough to make work.

Posted on: 3/20 19:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Fast idle spring search
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you called Daytona and see if they can supply it?

Posted on: 3/20 20:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
That's one I hadn't but emailed them now.

Posted on: 3/20 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
According to the Carter WDO 512 parts list the fast idle cam spring is part # 61-229.

This spring was used on various Carter carbs. I do have some individual misc. carb parts but not
the fast idle spring.

I do have a used carb with the spring.

Good luck with your search.

Posted on: 3/21 6:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
CCR

I notice that fast idle cam springs 61-142 and 61-229 are found on many Packard WDOs. Actually there are very few part numbers for these springs across the entire WDO product line, all applications. I’ve got a 643S which should have a 61-229 spring and a 644S that should have a 61-142 spring. I also have a ‘parts carb’ from a Hudson that might still have a serviceable 61-142 spring. I’ll take a good look at the two Packard carbs to see if the springs appear to be interchangeable . . . likely something is different, but other than spring rate I’m at a loss to predict why one spring would need to be different. Surely it scratched some itch, but it’s not clear to me what that might be. The cam itself, part number 181-110S, is used in both the 643S and 644S carburetors. If the Hudson 61-142 looks serviceable I’m willing to donate to the cause. Give me a day or two to photograph and determine the details and whether the Hudson spring is OK.

dp

Posted on: 3/21 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Much appreciated. I ordered a part that may work as a relatively inexpensive gamble so long. I have also done a bit of searches on similar models to compare parts carbs that may have a spring to see how much I'd pay for a parts carb for a silly spring.

Posted on: 3/21 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
If you are still searching for a spring I can help you out 520-336-0057 Mike / Tucson Packard

Posted on: 3/21 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Corey

I’ve looked at several installed -142 and -229 springs, and the difference between the two is not obvious. I do have a thermally damaged 644S air horn complete with all of the giggly bits associated with the choke, unloader and high idle components. Available for donation, PM if interested.

dp

Posted on: 3/22 13:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved