Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 195

BigKev, R H, Packard Don, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Asbestos or Not (Brake Shoes)
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hello,

There's a guy selling asbestos brake shoes, $140 for a car worth. But I can get cheap non asbestos shoes for $30 or nice ones for $90. Wondering if there's much of a point going for the asbestos ones.

They will be for my Clipper which will not see a lot of driving.

Posted on: 3/24 8:36
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Asbestos or Not (Brake Shoes)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
My brother was the real mechanic, he felt that asbestos shoes lasted longer and imparted less wear and heat to the drums than their metallic replacement. They were also quieter. It goes without saying that the health affects are an issue with asbestos. Back to you for the decision.
Bob J.

Posted on: 3/24 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
All the new modern materials that I have tried do not stop my cars as well as old asbestos material. On cars with disc brakes the difference is less . My feeling is asbestos has higher friction rate on application especially with the servo self energizing brakes. Cars with power brakes seem to be less effected or maybe non asbestos need higher pressure. I have had more trouble with current bonded linings coming off the shoes. I do prefer riveted lining Old guy told me the dissipate heat better than bonded. If you look and manual pictures most have rivets just my observation.

Posted on: 3/24 10:16
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I didn't realize that asbestos was still being used at all! Years ago I had the brake shoes for my 1952 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way relined and they used a relative hard metallic material that barely stopped the 6,200 lb car. In fact, one time on a steep rural road with some parts loaded inside, I was coasting backward and the brakes would not hold it and neither would the clutch so it made for a scary moment, especially as there was a ravine behind. After having them re-relined immediately after with a softer material, it would stop almost on a dime due to huge, wide 12" drums on the front and even bigger 14" drums on the rear.

Posted on: 3/24 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...My feeling is asbestos has higher friction rate...

Al (acolds), the ability to generate friction is not a unique feature of asbestos. There are a number of other substances that outdo this material. It is the heat resistance of asbestos that prompted automobile manufacturers to use it for brakes and clutches, as well as for hood insulation and seals. That is why asbestos is also found in oven seals.

Stop! Don't read any further! YOU ARE LEAVING THE AMERICAN SECTOR!
Click to see original Image in a new window

When & where I trained as a car mechanic, the carcinogenic effects of inhaled asbestos fibers were already well known. But the countermeasure taken was limited to a glass of free milk for breakfast for anyone who was "machining" (drilling, sawing, grinding) brake pads.

The use of asbestos has been completely banned in Germany since 1995 and in the EU since 2005.

image source: library of congress. No known restrictions on publication.
The image above only shows a section of the original photo.

Posted on: 3/24 13:48
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I didn't realize that asbestos was still being used at all!

They are NOS. (From a newer era though)

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with the new type riveted shoes if they are available.

Posted on: 3/24 17:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved