Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 183

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packards in Spain
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have been travelling in Spain for the last few weeks, ending up in Madrid and flying home from there in a couple of days. I tried to contact the Madrid chapter of the Packard Club, but both email addresses posted on the net came back as undeliverable. I did however, receive an answer from an antique car club here and their vice president advised me that they had some 20 Packards in their club. He said their club was quite small and that members, of course, kept their cars at home in their garages. He said he had 3 pre-war Packards and a pre-war Buick in his private collection and if I was willing to travel to a suburb of Madrid, he would be glad to show them to us. We agreed and after much investigation, decided to take the public transit to meet with him as a cab ride from our hotel was $80-$90 each way. The 'collection' turned out to be remarkable, numbering some 25-30 vehicles. All but 2 were complete restorations and all of them not only ran, but he said he drove them regularly. I'll keep the photos to just-Packards, but there were all makes and types of vintage European automobiles, dating from 1900 to to a 2003 Ferrari. Many of the makes I had never heard of before and there were 4 vintage Ferraris and the 2003, 2 0r 3 Porsches and, of course - the Packards. The oldest was a 1924 model year that he said was made in 1923, and a couple of late 30's, one a '37 I think, and not sure what year the convertible is. We were overwhelmed at both the quality and diversity of the collection and the most hospitable reception we were given by the owner to take of his time to meet with us and give us the provenance and detailed description of each and every vehicle. He fired several of them up and they all sprang to life with the touch of a key and ran flawlessly. We talked about Packard at length and he said he would be coming to the States in the next year or so to 'take his wife to go shopping in New York', but really under the guise of 'a trip to Hershey'!. As it was I dragged my wife along today, somewhat reluctantly, but after our afternoon at the warehouse, she too was most impressed with the collection! Chris.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1744R.jpg (259.62 KB)
121627_660320efa053a.jpg 2592X1728 px

jpg  IMG_1775R.jpg (223.94 KB)
121627_660321063cf7a.jpg 2592X1728 px

jpg  IMG_1780R.jpg (245.22 KB)
121627_66032133a48eb.jpg 2592X1728 px

Posted on: 3/26 14:16
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   
LikeLoveWow (4)

Re: Packards in Spain
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Very neat. It's nice to see the Packards in the wild in other countries!

I know there are several Packards in the Canary Islands as well. Talk about an even smaller and isolated group!

Posted on: 3/27 9:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
Chris, Beautiful cars and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 3/28 8:10
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thanks for sharing this look at some well-tended Iberian Packards. Some newbies may not realize that through the '30s, Packard exported more fine cars (above $2,000 FOB) than all other domestic automakers combined, and into the '40s remained by far the leading make in the world's embassies.

Posted on: 3/28 20:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved