Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1949 2262 Died On Me
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Disconnect the fuel line at the pump, install a hose barb fitting and a piece of New hose into a fuel can. If it runs fine off of that, the you know the pump/carb and fuel filter off the carb are OK. The you can work backwards from there to find where the issue lies.

But if you haven't, try running it with the fuel cap off. That is the simplest check for a someone who used an un-vented cap.

Posted on: 4/20 22:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
That's what I plan to do tomorrow, BigKey. I know it ran good when I had fuel making it to the carburetor, so I'm going to work my way back to the tank like you said. Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Posted on: 4/21 8:39
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Had similar problem with 49 Packard with Electric fuel pump-filter on front of pump needed cleaning

Posted on: 4/21 10:09
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
FOUND THE PROBLEM!

Actually it was more than one problem. First, the fuel hose that the previous owner used to hook up the electric fuel pump at a kink in it. That, coupled with ethanol based gasoline probably compromised the Integrity of the hose, causing it to collapse inside. Second, the fuel filter he installed was the size of 8 quarters stacked on top of each other - no real filtration.

But the big problem was in the WDO 644s carburetor. The bottom of the bowl was pretty nasty, and the float was separating at the seam. Someone earlier hit the nail right on the head - fuel was leaking into the float, which, of course, ended up emptying the bowl, causing the engine to die.

Carburetor is at the rebuilding shop now.
New float should be here Friday.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a rebuild kit for the mechanical fuel pump. Can anybody help me?[PROCESSING IMAGE.... PLEASE WAIT]
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  20240423_173828.jpg (2,315.77 KB)
226760_662848345192b.jpg 2992X2992 px

Posted on: 4/23 18:45
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 4/23 20:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Then and now has good kits but the check valves are oversized too much so incredibly tight!

Posted on: 4/24 2:03
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I've used Then and Now on two different fuel pumps and they've been great. The other usual places like Max Merritt and Kanter have rebuild kits too. Or you can send your pump in as a core and get a rebuilt one in exchange.

Then and Now has a bunch of videos on YouTube showing the rebuild process for different pumps. You'll probably find one on there that is close enough to yours.

-Kevin

Posted on: 4/24 11:51
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

RKS
See User information
I had a similar problem like that on mine was a fuel filter problem (not saying thats it but it might be a start) the fuel filter looked fine but was so clogged on the backside fuel apparently was getting thru.

Posted on: 4/26 11:04
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved