Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

BigKev, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
To use the later engine you have only to transfer over the mounting details from your old engine: water pump, front plate, motor mount arch etc. Gives you a much larger pool of engines to fish in.

Posted on: 4/27 6:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also what would be different on the back side? I figure a later donor would have an ultramatic and his is a manual transmission.

Posted on: 4/27 6:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The back side was unchanged for many years but you’ll have to install an appropriate pilot bearing into the back of the crank.

Posted on: 4/27 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
yes, you will need to use the large pilot bearing from the 49-56 engines.

Posted on: 4/27 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
As an interesting segway, in about March 1985, I was asked by a Member of the Packard Automobile Club of Australia to assist in the conversion of his 1948 2292 from a manual to an ultramatic. I advised that his crank rear probably had to be machined to take the Ultramatic converter snout. I arranged for this to be done in Melbourne and this was done with the engine fully assembled. A few months later I get a call from him is a very remote part of Australia (and I mean 150 miles of nothing each way... Google Nullabor Plain )on the Nullabor Plain to advise that he has gone in for a checkup because he noticed an oil leak. The mechanic told him that there was a bolt thread protruding from his sump... wat do I do? I ascertained that the firm doing the work had dropped the distributor retaining bolt into the sump and a kind counterweight had punched it through the sump pan not much later. I advised him to put a washer and nut on the bolt , tighten and proceed. It apparently went well after that.

Posted on: 4/28 2:37
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I do have a 1949 288 engine. It is not perfect . It runs some rough, I suspect a valve job . I can crate it up for materials costs and $100.00 for my time.-$200.00 for the engine . You pay freight. Weighs about 700 lbs. I live near Sesttle,Wa.

Posted on: 4/29 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I see you live in Woodinville. I used to spend a lot of time there at Vintage Auto Parts back in the '60s!

Posted on: 4/29 16:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Someone just posted a 288 for sale in the For Sale forum that is listed as being in Illinois.

Posted on: 5/5 19:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved