Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Converting back to six volt
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Converting back to six volt on my 41 110…. It had been converted to 12 volt partially..appears 12 volts are running to starter ..then spliced at starter to voltage regulator and out to alternator and light..has two 6 volt batteries in series for the 12 volts and jumper cable between the the batteries to maintain a six volt wire that goes to all the gauges and buttons….probably because they didn’t want to have use resistors for all the dash stuff? ..I have generator and new voltage regulator to start with…they disconnected the dash ammeter and installed an under dash 12 volt one ….so now I have to retire back to dash ammeter….wondering if I removed dash of that would be the way to go or try and wire laying under dash..it seems like that may be impossible? I will get new 6 volt bulbs for lights…they rewired everything under the dash with 12 gauge wire but kept it all on the six volt…so that should not be a problem and it looks like they re routed horn wire from the starter as the starter is now getting 12 volts…ignition components all original and six volt…am I missing anything before I jump into this? Sorry for the long post tks

Posted on: 5/6 8:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Converting back to six volt
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If any of the 6 volt wire is original, then its probably overdue for a replacement. The insulation by now is probably brittle.

Since it sounds like it's a bit of a hodge podge between the 6v and 12v stuff. It maybe be easier to just bite the bullet and replace everything with a new reproduction 6v harness. Then everything will be back to factory, but with new, safe wiring.

Posted on: 5/6 8:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Definite hodgepodge, however, they did replace all of original wiring with correct gauge when doing the half and half conversion so I think the wiring is all safe…

Posted on: 5/6 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Try jumping one 6V battery to the starter. On mine the field coils were changed to 12V so the starter would not work on 6V. (Smart move if you are running 12V as using 12 on the old starter could shatter the bendix drive)
If your engine turns over on the 6V you are fine.
You can get a 6V coil pack and rebuild the starter if it has had the 12V change done.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  field coil.jpg (121.07 KB)
225215_6638e9590f322.jpg 1084X729 px

Posted on: 5/6 9:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok had starter rebuilt recently they did not mention any change I will do the test tks

Posted on: 5/6 9:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Any thoughts on accessing the ammeter to rewire?

Posted on: 5/6 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Start by disconnecting the battery, you are dealing with full battery amperage here.
I removed the seat base and laid on the passenger side floor boards with the door open. Clip a light up under the dash for best viewing.
The ammeter is pretty simple, one wire goes from the hot side of the starter solenoid, another wire goes out to the rest of the car. It is the 1st link in the chain after the starter so it can read the amperage use for the car's whole system.
There is a wiring diagram in the 37 owners manual here on the "Literature Archive" page, search under "Show by Year" and click on 1937, it is on the list 15 titles down and the schematic is on page 9.
The wires are held to the back of the ammeter by two nuts, (one in one out in series) with fork or hoop style ends.
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/6 13:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
Ok thank you bob! This sounds like I can rewire it correctly back to six volts without removing the ammeter .. if not it seems there are four nuts holding it on if I have to remove it in order to wire it..

Posted on: 5/6 16:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Amp meter itself has just two terminals studs. Luckily you can't really hurt it. Either it will read correctly, or backwards. If it reads backwards, just swap the wires on the terminals.

But curious why they installed a new one under the dash? Amp meters don't really care about voltage.

The one in my 115-C works just find on 12v.

Posted on: 5/6 16:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmyk
See User information
I have no idea …hopefully get into this weekend and see what’s going on..will report back..tks for the help

Posted on: 5/8 6:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved