Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 133

TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

starter questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jworth
See User information
I have a 1955 packard caribbean and the starter is going bad. when I turn the key it just clicks but when I turn the key enough times, the starter finally engages and starts the engine. I am looking to replace the starter. question are the starters for the clipper and caribbean the same and is the 1955 caribbean starter the same as in the 1956?

Where would I look to get a remanufactured starter? Thank you

Posted on: 5/18 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re: starter questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Clipper and Caribbean starters are not the same. Most 55 Clippers used an Autolite starter with a small solenoid and when motor starts spinning a regular Bendix drive moves the pinion into mesh with the ring gear. 56 was mixed with mostly Autolite still used on Clippers. The 55-6 senior models including Caribbean always used a Delco starter and large solenoid which mechanically moved the pinion into mesh. When pinion nears full engagement with the ring gear the solenoid makes contact and starts motor spinning. Parts says Delco starters are different between 55-6 but not sure what the difference might be unless it is power output because of the larger 374 in 56. Mechanically they will interchange. Starters do not care about polarity so doubt that is the difference.

Solenoids are very different between starters and with your symptom of clicks but no action the solenoid could actually be your issue. The contacts could be worn to the point of barely being able to make contact. On the Caribbean, the solenoid can be rebuilt using the STK2 solenoid rebuild kit from Napa but the Clipper solenoid must be replaced. If your starter has never had service then it certainly wouldn't hurt to be gone thru and brushes checked. Almost any auto electric motor shop should be able to do it. Virtually the same starter was used on many GM cars of the 50 and 60s. If you cannot find anyone locally, while 55 may be a bit newer than he typically works on Jason from Advanced Electrical Rebuilders has gotten good reviews by many on the forum. His info is in the directory.

The ignition switch is also a known culprit in starting issues particularly when used with the large solenoid. The heavy current needed by that solenoid can cause the internal start contact to burn or melt. If that has happened it can sometimes take several tries before contact can be made but since you hear a click each time you try probably not your issue. When the ign switch is failing usually there are other symptoms along with the poor start contact such as a rough or catching feeling when turning the key or sometimes intermittent loss of contact when just sitting in either of the on positions.

Posted on: 5/18 16:03
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
'55 was + grd. and '56 was - grd.

Posted on: 5/19 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
My cents

Solenoid finger.. and contacts

Other.... starter brushes.

All repairable.

Napa has Solenoids. S100

EBay they. Pop up.

As well as repair kits.

And you can take to have it rebuilt.

The whole starter

Posted on: 5/19 19:24
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

True but the way the starter field coils and armature are internally connected if a change in polarity occurs both items also change at the same time so the magnetic relationship and rotation direction stays the same. Generators and ammeters do care as they typically need repolarizing and reversing connections on the ammeter before they will charge or read properly after a polarity swap. Regulators are another item that might care and coils work better with a change of connections to match polarity but will still work if left alone.

As a point of information as evidenced by all the accidental or sometimes on purpose changing of pre 56 cars to negative ground to accommodate modern radios or cell phones, starters and other electric motors Packard used as an original part do not care about polarity.

Posted on: 5/19 19:32
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The most trivial reason to change polarity is to accommodate a solid state radio vibrator. I note that since, aside from my alternator, that's the only thing keeping my 400 as negative ground (originally positive).

Posted on: 5/19 20:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jworth
See User information
Howard, thank you for your detailed response to my question

Posted on: 5/19 22:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

True but the way the starter field coils and armature are internally connected if a change in polarity occurs both items also change at the same time so the magnetic relationship and rotation direction stays the same. Generators and ammeters do care as they typically need repolarizing and reversing connections on the ammeter before they will charge or read properly after a polarity swap. Regulators are another item that might care and coils work better with a change of connections to match polarity but will still work if left alone.

As a point of information as evidenced by all the accidental or sometimes on purpose changing of pre 56 cars to negative ground to accommodate modern radios or cell phones, starters and other electric motors Packard used as an original part do not care about polarity.

I forgot, with wire wound magnets it won't matter. but, with a permanent magnet starter it WILL reverse rotation. PB

Posted on: 5/20 19:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I forgot, with wire wound magnets it won't matter. but, with a permanent magnet starter it WILL reverse rotation. PB

Most definitely and that is a caution that needs to be stressed again for anyone doing the recent mod to use a modern PM power window or a heater blower motor or going to the hi-torque mini starter.

Another caution is for anyone using a modern solid state replacement item such as a radio vibrator or the full radio conversions with various FM or Bluetooth modules etc or some of the TL control switch conversions. While some solid state items are polarity protected, most are not and if your car has any unknown solid state devices installed by a previous owner they can let their smoke exit quickly if polarity is swapped.

Posted on: 5/20 19:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information

Posted on: 5/22 15:26
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved