Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 161

JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1999 Packard prototype on Ebay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
bkazmer -

As I understand it, rights to specific trademarks extend only to a specific market. It might be, then, that boats are considered a market that is separate and apart from land-based vehicles.

There have been many products that bear the Packard name (even the familiar script) that have little connection to PMCC.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
.... and i just meant its not a Packard because it wasnt built in Detroit by PMCC....

Posted on: 2009/5/28 17:43
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Look at the script used by the Packard Piano Company. The script to me is the same that was used by Packard the automobile company.

I feel that you need no permission from PAC to use the Packard script on a web site like this. As I feel that the Packard Piano Company script was in use before PMCC started using the script.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/28 20:21
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
John

I don't know the history offhand of the Packard Piano Company, but can find out the dates pretty easily. Piano companies were plentiful and fluid in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There is a substantial chance that Packard pianos were "stencil" pianos, bought by a dealer who put his own trade name on them. Naming a piano after Packard and trying to ride on their reputation probably occurred to more than one hungry piano salesman.

The family grave site in Warren, predating PMCC, (not J.W.'s, the other one in the same cemetery) carries the familiar Packard script. If memory serves me right it was the trade mark of Warren's lumber company, and the succeeding family businesses continued to use it.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/5/28 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JHH: I already did the research a long time ago. That is why I brought up the question.

Packard Piano Company was located in Fort Wanye Ind.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/5/28 21:41
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
a point that I was trying to make - that dilution of such rights to the Packard trademark may have occurred in the years since they were exercised. It doesn't make sense that someone can then lay claim to names or logos that have been in generic use for so long.

Yes Brian, absolutely correct. And there is a similar parallel in patent law regarding enforcement or the lack thereof with respect to infringement. You are on target with that point.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
That is so butt ugly!

Posted on: 2009/5/29 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
my eyes! my eyes!!

Posted on: 2009/5/29 9:59
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
No one was using the Packard name and the trademarks had expired. Bayliff renewed the trademarks.

Bayliff sold the name to the guy that built this car on Ebay. However, Bayliff retained licensee rights to use the Packard name whenever he built another car.

While not overly attractive, it is a better attempt than the Bayliffs which were just GM's with a grill and trim tacked on.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 15:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That sounds familiar, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 17:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved