Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

PackardSanta, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Clutch suppliers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Does anyone have a recommendation as to the best place to purchase a clutch disc and pressure plate or have one rebuilt etc. I know Kanter and Marritt offer them but is their another supplier you would recommend?

Posted on: 2009/5/27 11:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch suppliers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fort Wayne Clutch is one of the standard places for clutch rebuilding and possibly could be the source used by Max and Kanter, though there are plenty of others. I believe they are in Indiana and advertise regularly in Hemmings and other hobby publications. Many consider them "The" clutch place. If you can't find the contact information, let us know.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
OR, you could just take it all down to your local parts store and buy a new one. Look for a 10 spline Chevy disc with a Ford Long clutch pressure plate.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 13:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PI in their interchange manual of 1978 make reference to the Ford truck interchange for certain Packards. However, PI's opinion was that it was in comparison a pretty crude device with no where's near the refinement and precision of the Long clutch that Packard used.

Just curious, does PI still make those interchange manuals (there were 2 of them) available to members? The data pretty much comes directly from Hollander Interchange, but not too many hobbists seem to pick up and use Hollander.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 13:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One of the PI chapters still sells them. But they are still the same data from the mid 70's.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 14:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch suppliers or interchange with Ford #'s
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
If anyone would have the interchange parts # I would appreciate hearing. The local clutch shop is looking into it also. I am going to contact Ft.Wayne Clutch. Meanwhile I notice that the pilot bearing is installed incorrectly with the ball bearings facing out! By the looks of the bolt keepers this flywheel was out at one time and whoever it was put the bearing in backwards.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 16:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Fort Wayne Clutch that is who rebuilt mine.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 21:53
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch suppliers or interchange with Ford #'s
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If anyone would have the interchange parts # I would appreciate hearing

Presume you mean the Packards International interchange, Vol #1? Yes, I've got both volumes, though I prefer to use Hollander because it's more expansive. If you need something from one of these or the other, send me a PM.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave,

I take that your latest post means you were able to get the clutch out of the Clipper. Would you mind sharing with us how you finally accomplished the removal after so much trouble?

I think the recommendation from Eric about the Ford pressure plate and the Chevrolet disc is a good one. If you are concerned about quality go to the dealers and buy new ones (while you can). That is what I would do.

I think the pilot bearing is the same as used for about two hundred years as the front bearing for generators. Get a fully sealed one.

No recommendation on the release bearing. I would replace everything in there now that you have it apart.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 8:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Dave,

I take that your latest post means you were able to get the clutch out of the Clipper. Would you mind sharing with us how you finally accomplished the removal after so much trouble?

John, I like being consistent. Instead of reading instructions in great detail I tend to barge ahead. Had I read the Packard manual instead of relying on an Motor's manual I might not have made the mistake of removing the pressure plate from the flywheel before "BLOCK OFF THE CLUTCH RELEASE LEVERS WITH 3/8" NUTS, SO THAT THE LEVERS WILL REMAIN IN ENGAGED POSITION...."
Having neglected to do this resulted in the pressure plate springs being extended with the result that there was insufficient space to extract the plate past the fork. My solution was to push the pressure plate as high up into the bell housing as i could manage and tilt the lower portion so that I could jerk the clutch disc down. When I had applied sufficient force the disc came free and the pressure plate had room to come down also. Reading and following the Packard Manual instructions would doubtlessly saved me a lot of stress, energy and worry.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 17:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved