Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

Neil's1937, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wanted - A/T vacuum Modulator 1956 Caribbean
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wmsue
See User information
I've got a 1956 Caribbean with the push button Ultramatic A/T and need a new vacuum modulator. Any leads appreciated.
Will the modulator from any other make of car work?

Thanks

Bill

Posted on: Yesterday 19:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Wanted - A/T vacuum Modulator 1956 Caribbean
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Vacuum modulator??

Do you mean a Vacuum Advance for the carburetor(s)?

Posted on: Yesterday 19:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nothing on an Ultramatic is vacuum operated. The only vacuum modulator is the advance mechanism on the distributor but the electric shift does have a pressure switch located on the side of the transmission which could be taken for a modulator. That is a completely different item so please provide a few more details as to what is happening or not working..

Posted on: Yesterday 19:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Wmsue wrote:
I've got a 1956 Caribbean with the push button Ultramatic A/T and need a new vacuum modulator. Any leads appreciated.
Will the modulator from any other make of car work?

Thanks

Bill

I suspect you are referring to the shift motor??? Please explain in more detail. The only vacuum powered stuff on these cars is the advance, power brakes, wipers, and washer.

And what is WRONG with it in particular? It's not like you can just buy new ones off the shelf for $50 at NAPA; while all the parts are available and people rebuild them all the time, it will save you a great headache and some expense to describe the specific issue. Perhaps your motor has simply overtraveled.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:18
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wmsue
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply.
I do apologize, I'm learning a lot from these cars.

Symptoms: Whitish smoke (no blueish tint) coming from right side of exhaust only even after warm up. Car shifted fine but now is sluggish to go into gear and the A/T fluid is low. I have not put the car on the lift to look at it yet. Not leaking A/T fluid. I thought (incorrectly) that it had a bad trans vacuum modulator and the A/T fluid was being sucked into the engine.

I'm not low on radiator fluid as my first guess was a blown head gasket. After 10 or 15 minutes of driving, the white smoke does disappear.

Bill

Posted on: Today 6:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Low A/T fluid will cause shifting issue. So you want to top that off right away.

White smoke is usually oil being burned. Which could be blowby from worn or stuck rings, Also, head gasket, worn valve guide, etc.

Rare case would be brake fluid being sucked in through the vacuum lines, if the powerbrake booster had an internal leak.

Posted on: Today 6:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Wmsue wrote:
Not leaking A/T fluid.

The only way the fluid gets low is from leaks; it does not evaporate. Example: walking up to a car parked 20-30 years and pulling the dipstick to find there's plenty of oil left is the norm, not the exception.

Point is, once you add it, it will start leaking... somewhere. So just be prepared for that. Probably when the transmission is running, unless it's leaking from the pan gasket or the things threaded into the pan.

Side note, to properly check the level, you set the parking brake then shift into neutral with the engine running, then wait 1 minute before taking the reading. This ensures the converter is full. Or: remove the plug in the rear of the case. Put a catch pan underneath. Add trans fluid until it starts to run out. Cap that, then add 1 more quart. Capacity is 11½–12 qts total.

Note: this rear case plug is different than the drain plug and the dipstick nut, both in the pan.

Posted on: Today 6:49
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wmsue
See User information
thank you.

Going to diagnose the problem this afternoon.

Bill

Posted on: Today 7:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved