Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Many questions!
Just popping in
Just popping in

aasafetypilot
See User information
New to Packards...found a 1930 fully restored (very well done, I've done lots of Ford As, Corvettes, Jags, etc) but apart 1930 straight 8 sedan (127 WB). But... number on frame (302167), engine (301867), data plate (301713) obviously don't match. Should they? Wheels are solid - is this OK? Dual sidemounts, and all the chrome, lights, etc. are there, and about 9 out of 10. Any idea of the value? Thanks for ANY help anyone can give. Appreciate it!

Jim

Posted on: 2009/5/30 16:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Many questions!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Welcome AASAFETYPILOT to PInfo website.
Yes all the numbers (body, engine, anti-theft number etc.) tend to be different. What is the model number of your 1930? That is usually on the data plate. If you can post pictures of the plates and numbers that will help members to respond.

There are many folks here to respond to your questions about a 1930 (Seventh Series), better than I, but I will give 2 links to start your Packard Info learning curve quicker. These are a few 'readings' and 'resources' on the website:

Engine Serial Number References
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?c3/246

Link to more specific Parts Book List related to 1930
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.category.php?42

You will find an Owners Manual there also in a PDF file to download and print out.

Value? The pragmatic answer (as you know from your years of car experience) is that an old car is worth what someone will pay for it. :)
Hopefully, it is worth the most to you,

If you haven't Registered on the Owners Registry, Please do so.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/

Happy Packard-ing

DanL

Posted on: 2009/5/30 22:21
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Also,
Here is a long thread of a Discussion Forum on Anti-Theft Numbers with lots of pictures.
Maybe this will help.
DanL

Posted on: 2009/5/30 22:26
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
aasafetypilot wrote:......New to Packards...found a 1930 fully restored.......

G'day Jim,
Like to add my to you to PackardInfo, a great Site. Sorry can't answer your questions but there are some here with greater knowledge and experience who will. And I endorse DanL's request to include the '30 in the Owner Registry WHEN, not if, you buy it! Please include a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 1:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe you posted the same or similar question on the "Thief-Proof Numbers..." thread, and I responded there rather than here. So I'll copy it over to this location:

A wheelbase measurement is necessary to complete the identification; your vehicle number (on the patent plate) identifies you car as a 7th series. It was yet a number of years before Packard built cars according to calendar year, though your car corresponds to 1930. It could be either a model 726 (127-1/2" wheelbase) or a 733 (134-1/2 inch). In either case it is the small 8 cylinder engine (320 cubic inches vs 385 for the larger series) and the model is known as a Standard Eight. The motor # should match the vehicle # so it would appear that your car has had a motor replacement but of the correct year and series. The frame # does not necessarily match the other numbers but is consistent with a 7th series Standard Eight.

On the 726 chassis, only a single body style was available, a 4-dr 5 passenger sedan; this style was known as #403. This was the "volume" car of the year.

On the 733 chassis there were 10 body styles available. The sedan would be a 5-7 passenger and would have jump seats.

About 28,260 7th series Standard Eights were produced between the two chassis and body styles.

And yes, steel disc wheels were available and remained so thru 1934 at least. They were more commonly seen on export cars because of their extreme strength versus wire spoke or wooden spoke.

726 Standard Eights are, in a relative sense, survivors in considerable numbers. I hope you find it an enjoyable car, and please try to keep it as authentic as possible to retain it's value.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 6:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

aasafetypilot
See User information
Thank you one and all! Great info. I have since seen all the rest of the car - all components carefully restored in 1980, and stored in a climate controlled garage. All appear to be original, carefully labeled, and packaged. Just waiting for assembly. Amazing find, I think. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2009/5/31 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Quote:
all components carefully restored in 1980, and stored in a climate controlled garage. All appear to be original, carefully labeled, and pyou have found.ackaged. Just waiting for assembly. Amazing find

YES, amazing!
As opposed to the more often sung chorus:
"unrestored, climate over-exposed,
unoriginal, unlabeled,
scattered over an acre and a half"

OR the "Barn Find" songs that are sung every now and then.

You have seen a genuine nearly 80 year old "Packard Kit."
Your reference to other cars suggests that you can appreciate and hopefully put this puzzle back together.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/5/31 17:53
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved