Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ignition distributor questions.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Two-bit
See User information
Vehicle spec: 1951, 300 sedan, 327, ultramatic.

Left the house this morning, all good, almost to work (5-6 minutes run time) and loss of power, big time loss of power. Could barely keep it running. Random (pops) missfires in the exhaust. Could not get above 15 mph. Barely made it into a parking spot at work.
Had a few minutes, checked fuel, got fuel. Accelerator pump is squirting in the carb.
FFWD to end of work day.
Engine rolls over, no fire. Check hat and spinner, look ok. Points, not so good.
Catch a ride home from wife. Start looking for parts, ie: points and condenser.
How many dizzys did Packard use ??? I have seen listings for Delco, Presto-lite, and Auto-lite.

Getting back to the car tomorrow to see if i can find a tag on the dizzy. And bring some more tools to test for spark.
Standard Blue Streak was my go to for years for point ignitions.
Anything better for a Packard ? (once i figure out which dizzy i have.)
Thanks

Posted on: Yesterday 19:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition distributor questions.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They used either Autolite or Delco-Remy but Prestolite and others offered aftermarket replacements. I think even Autolite offered Delco-Remy replacements and vice versa but I’m not sire! Point is (pun intended), you need to know which distributor you have before you can find the points for it and be sure to take a photo inside your distributor too just in case. Stores like Napa can often look up Packard but the points aren’t necessarily correct so a photo really helps.

Posted on: Yesterday 19:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition distributor questions.
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Better check coil and condenser, and ignition primary wiring.

If the engine sounds abnormal when cranking with the ignition off, you may have a timing chain issue.

Points rarely fail suddenly, but the condenser might.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved