Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 165

Tom (Packin31), happy, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: My 3 not-so-new clippers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
EDIT: Ultramatic not hydramatic (i was talking to a freind about some 55 120s and mustve had chevy on the brain.)

Posted on: 2009/6/12 11:39
Always use the right tool for the job....A FRIGGIN' HUGE HAMMER!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
I am waiting to get the rear axle seals, in the meantime i pulled apart my power brake unit to clean it up, it looked alright on the outside, but it was a mess of rust and corrosion on the inside, ill take pics and show you guys what i mean. aside from the surface corrosion though, everything appears solid, should be easy to clean up and rebuild. now that ive said that the car will probably explode just to spite me.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 12:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
Got the brake treadle vac cylinder apart and the lower half of the vacuum piston, the part that sandwiches the diaphram, was coroded through in many places, ill have to either repair of or replace it,

Posted on: 2009/6/23 16:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
I found a treasure trove of parts in a local junkyard!,
they had 4 clippers just like mine(One with a treadle vac brake system in perfect condition) they also had a 57 v-8 clipper, and two much older packards i want to do some research on, they were really big 20s or 30s sedans. i cant wait to get a better look through!(found them by accident looking for parts for my 85 celica, what kind of good luck is that!)

Posted on: 2009/6/28 7:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Please at the very least have the "perfect condition" treadlevac professionally gone thru and seals replaced. They're most likely 50 years old and a couple of them are the only thing between having brakes one stop or none the next.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Fearlessmoto wrote: I found a treasure trove of parts in a local junkyard!, they had 4 clippers just like mine.....they also had a 57 v-8 clipper, and two much older packards.....they were really big 20s or 30s sedans......

Fearless,

Good find, how about some pic's of this "treasure trove"?

Posted on: 2009/6/28 14:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
Sure, the yard is closed for 2 weeks for the 4th of july, after they reopen ill take many many pics, they have over 500 cars all said and told, of every make and model, the best part is they dont crush cars! i dont know if im allowed to put the name of the place on or not, if not it will probably be scratched out anyway so here it is, Rustic auto salvage in schuyler falls NY.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 11:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
Obviously im not going to put a single vac cylinder in a car that old without rebuilding it first. however i dont need to get that one anymore. I was digging through the pile of spare parts in the trunk of my clipper and sitting behind the transmission was another(very nice shape) treadle vac which was corrosion free inside!

what is the best place to buy rebuild sets for these and what should i pay closest attention to? i know the valves on the hydraulic side will need replacing. and the vacuum side will need a little polishing on the inside so it makes a good seal to the leather seal cup.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 11:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
'motto -

This isn't like some of the other forums. As long as its relevant to the hobby, you CAN name names in this forum and even tell us of your experience with them - good or bad. You won't get a nastygram from a webmaster who's in the pocket of some advertiser or other club.

Yet, to avoid editing or deletion of a post, here, I recommend you speak more in facts than emotion - though I know that can be hard for some at times.

SPAM, however, is NOT welcome here and gets deleted promptly.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 12:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fearlessmoto
See User information
Thanks for clarifying that, like i said ill have many many pics of this yard im talking about when they reopen in 2 weeks, particularly of the packards.

when i talk about the shape of a car to my family i might exagerate the condition of it but if im talking to fellow restorers i try to keep it as honest and detailed as possible, i know people might want to stop there if they are in the area, or if they need something i can check into it for them.
i dont want anyone to get ripped off by thinking a part is in better shape than it is.

know what i mean?

Posted on: 2009/7/2 8:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved