Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 75

DM37, 29tons, Jack Vines, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ask the man who owns one
Just popping in
Just popping in

mnieto
See User information
Hello everyone, I need a little help here. I'm trying to find the story behind the slogan "Ask the man who owns one". I spent some time on the internet last night trying to find the story to no avail. Can someone relate the story to me or point me in the right direction? I believe James Ward Packard was behind it, but how it came about I'm not sure. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Ask the man who owns one
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Generally, the story goes that a potential buyer contacted the company asking about their automobiles and where to obtain more information. Packard's secretary relayed this inquiry to her boss, and he supposedly said to her: "Tell him to ask the man ..."

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
My 55 400 came with nice plate surrounds which read ''Central Valley Packard'' and ''Ask the man who owns one'' I guess this was a dealer in California but was not the dealer who supplied my car as I have the original owners identification card. I don't know anything else about Central valley Packard to add it to the dealers registry or not...?
Packarddaveuk

Attach file:

jpg  (51.61 KB)
379_4a327887c0401.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Mnieto

There was a nice full page magazine ad Packard ran in the 30's or 40's with a commissioned painting depicting the incident. A friend of mine has a print of it on the wall of his very elegant garage.

To anyone's knowledge, the event literally happened as described. The late Beverly Rae Kimes found a reference in an English (!) publication dated about a year after it occurred. The "one" car in the slogan is the first one built. I gather James Ward had his hands full trying to get the 2nd or 3rd car on the road when she got the inquiry...

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/6/12 21:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
My 55 400 came with nice plate surrounds which read ''Central Valley Packard"

Packarddaveuk, if I'm not horribly mistaken your car spent several years in and around Fresno, CA with at least two of the Calif owners. Fresno is located mid Calif in the San Joaquin valley or what is generally called the central valley.

The late Doug Judy, (who was never a factory Packard dealer) bought out many west coast dealer inventories as they came available and was also buying/selling collectible (mostly Packard) cars in the 60-70's-early 80s. Central Valley Packard was the name of this sideline business, and I do believe that is one of his license plate frames.

He usually gave a pair with every Packard he sold, but also gave one away to members of the local Packard set when we had an active PAC chapter and a tour planned with other invited areas. Believe that is how yours came to be as I'm pretty sure that is the same car that was on many tours locally when Ray K. owned the car--if not yours, then one just like it.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
My 55 400 came with nice plate surrounds which read ''Central Valley Packard'' and ''Ask the man who owns one''

That licence plate frame can't be original to your 55. The licence plates that were issued in 1955 would not have been able to fit in the frames you pictured. The 55 plate was a 51 plate with an added corner plate saying 55 that covered up the year 51 embossed on the plate. The 51 through 55 plates were wider than the one you show. The plate you picture wasn't issued until 1963 when all the yellow plates with the black numbers and letters were replaced.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
This is what a 51 through 55 plate looks like.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.94 KB)
738_4a3327947c44c.jpg 708X356 px

Posted on: 2009/6/12 23:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
HH56, Bob 1951, Thanks for the info.. I realised the frame and plate were not original to 1955. I was just curious as to if Central Valley Packard was a dealership. My car was originally sold from Locke motor company in Inglewood. On the reverse of the owners card it gives the original key numbers which I have. I bought the car in Nov 2003 from a guy in Vacaville and have some history between then and late 80's though between then and 1955 is a mystery. I assume the car spent some time in Sacramento by an old Firestone metal service sticker in the door jamb. The VIN 5587-6369 and engine numbers are matching. If you knew the car and have any more info it would be great to find out.
Regards,
Packarddaveuk.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.69 KB)
379_4a33b91a0ce11.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/6/13 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
If you knew the car and have any more info it would be great to find out.

Sorry, I don't have any information regarding your cars past owners. I am lucky to be the second owner of my 51. The YOM plates on the car now as well as the dealer license plate frame on the front are original to the car. The owners were good enough to have kept the plates in the trunk after they were replaced by the yellow California plates that came out in 1956. Wish they would have kept the yellow plates as well. In the glove box was the temporary receipt for the DMV fees dated 9/29/51 that shows the license plate number issued at the time as well as the engine number. The fee was $25.00 to register it in 51. Not bad for a new car.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 11:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

mnieto
See User information
Thanks for the help on the Slogan of "Ask the man... Anyone else out there have anything to add to this?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 15:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved