Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 236

Ross, DavidM, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shoulder and Lap Belts
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Has anyone installed a set of modern type shoulder and lap belts in their 21st or 22nd Series Packard? If so, could you please share what it took to do the installation, and where you got your belts. The shoulder and lap belt combination seem, to me, to me a better solution than just lap belts. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 10:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Shoulder and Lap Belts
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Also interested.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 10:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
My Patrician can with the floor mounts for lap belts but no belts. And the cop of my cars order from studebaker doesn't show that for install.

Have you taken a look at PackardV8's thread "shoulder strap 55 executive"?

Idk if he explained his install but I'm sure he'd be mor than happy to provide you with details.

Hopefully this link works.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_Id=2907&viewmode=flat&order=asc&mode=0&start=0

[Edit] sorry my link doesn't work, but if you search that topic it will come up.

Any ideas on why it returns no topic selected?

Posted on: 2009/6/16 11:03
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bandon, I have been following PackardV8's thread on the install of the belts in his '55. What I would like to find out is, if anyone has done this on a 21st or 22nd series car, how they fastened the shoulder belt anchor to the door post. PackardV8 posted a photo of his door post stripped of the trim. I was just wondering what the structure of the door post on the earlier cars looks like. I do not want to take the trim off of my '47 without knowing what is underneath. Maybe a body manual will give me some information.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can try looking at the 48-54 "Parts List" Plates that are in the Photo Archive. They are various plates of the Body construction in there.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 13:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Haha thats waht i get for visiting this forum on my phone!

Sorry, and good luck!

Posted on: 2009/6/16 14:37
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is a photo of the body parts in the 1946-1950 Shop Manual. It is a small image, but may be useful. I just hate to strip off the trim with so little knowledge as it is original.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 15:31
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, The metal body plate between the doors is where I intended to put a shoulder harness also. The metal inner panel is solid with no access holes but I believe there is room between the inner and outer panels at the top to perhaps lower a nut and reinforcing metal plate and attach the shoulder belt bracket through a hole you would drill. I had my trim panel off when I rewired and upholstered the car and it is held on with metal studs which simply pull off. The problem may be with the windlass material which is nailed onto a strip of wood IIRC at the top and sides and possibly the headliner.Alternatively I would think that if all the upholstery was out of the car a plate and nut could be welded onto the inner panel.When I am driving and only have a lap belt I think about what that steering wheel and metal dash board would do to a body in an accident. I also have doubts that the metal door post would be strong enough without serious reinforcement to withstand the force of a body weight against the belt in an accident and that is why I didn't bother. It might be false security.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are some photos of the drivers side pillar for a 22nd Series that I saved. It should be the same as the earlier Clipper bodies. There is a rectangular opening lower down on the pillar that could be used to fish in a small reinforcing plate. I don't think that the original sheet metal would be strong enough to support the load from a shoulder belt.

Attach file:

jpg  (148.03 KB)
1137_4a3834e99cad3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (138.93 KB)
1137_4a3834fcae3ae.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/6/16 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
BdeB, These photos show the structure detail I am looking for. They also look like the photos in the Body Section of the 1946-1950 Service Manual, but yours easier to examine. You and Clipper47 make a good point about the strength of the door post. Thanks to you both. I found a site for seat belts, lap only and lap and shoulder. Finding room for the floor mounted inertia reels may be a problem.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 10:22
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved