Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Best of luck with this Packard. I need to tell you I was scammed by a Packard seller on Ebay recently. He sold another similar Packard earlier this year which was also a scam job.

Here is what I should have done differently:
1. Go inspect the car or pay someone locally to inspect it for you before making a payment.
2. Check the engine condition (oil pressure verified with another gage, temperature after a hard drive, compression, funny noises, leaks, etc.).
3. Drive the car!! On mine the brakes did not work at all and it was advertized as a "roadworthy running car that stops as it should."
4. Make sure the seller did not overlook photographing all the bad parts of the car (rust, dings, bad chrome, mickey mouse wiring, holes in the upholstery, missing parts,etc.). My scammer took really creative photos only of the good parts.
5. Don't believe what he tells you or what is advertized.
6. Verify the engine number, etc.
7. Make sure the seller has a title and it is in his name.
8. If he advertizes manuals, spare parts, etc make sure you visually see that they exist.
9. Do not trust Ebay's buyer protection plan. It is set up for a crook to have lots of ways to use the arbitrary and impossibly short 30 day deadline to avoid letting you collect.
10. Check for negative feedback and do not trust anyone with little history.

I paid top dollar (about double what it should have been worth) for what seemed like a car I could jump in and use. I have been working on it solid for 2 months and have spent more than the car is worth trying to make it as advertized. I was stupid but hopefully someone else can be helped by my experience,

My scammer lived in Las Vegas and has relatives in California that participated. He is dropped from Ebay now so he probably changed his name and is still out there. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Good advice! Several years ago I agreed to buy a 1929 626 some 800 miles distant. I bought the car based upon photos and the sellers say so about how it was restored yadda yadda. I sent a sizeable deposit and then went to pick up the car and I actually planned on driving it home based upon the sellers glowing retoric. The car was a disaster from the first look at it. Bondo poorly applied over rust holes, motor sounded like it had rocks in the crankcase and cheapo upholsery job. Luckily I was able to browbeat the deposit back and was only out the time and expense of travel. I would NEVER buy another car without either examining it myself or have someone qualified to do so as previously advised. Personally while this car appears to be a good one photos and words can be deceiving and not necessarily intentionally.. Caveat emptor

Posted on: 2009/7/23 15:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Need some help, again. :) What is the width of the car from outside-to-outside at the tires? Trying to see if this car fits on a U-Haul trailer. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/23 16:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Front tread spec is 60 3/32. Back is 60 47/64. Question would be is that number inside, outside or centerline.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.02 KB)
209_4a68deee6c42d.jpg 734X135 px

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Thank you for the information. I cannot believe how screwed up U-Haul is in trying to get a trailer. I have a 2008 ChevyHD with diesel, gross trailer capacity of 13000 pounds and they are telling me that the truck is too light to haul the car. Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The whitewall to whitewall measurement on my '50 (127" wheelbase) is 71-72 inches using the scientific method of 2 2x4's laid next to the tires and a tape measure.

I think if I can haul a 1941 Packard 180 limousine halfway across the North American continent using a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500, you shouldn't have any problems.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
You would think that my truck would not have any problem. First I was told that their trailer could only handle 4000# of load,then it was as issue with length and width, and believe me it was an issue, thanks for the responses I got from you guys. And then finally, oh we are sorry, your truck is not heavy enough. Huh? Because it's a 4X4, my cargo capacity is reduced and my vehicle weight is just north of 7000#, and it's too light to tow the Packard. Mind you, my Benz weights 100# less, is narrower by 2" and is 6" shorter in overall and wheelbase lengths and they had no problem with me renting a trailer and hauling it. Corporate America is truly amazing, if it ain't in the computer it must not exist. Oh by the way, when entering the towed vehicle information for a 1949 model, Packard was not even listed. Chevy, Ford, GMC (1 ton, 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton), Studebaker, MG and a couple of others but no Packard,Desoto, Chrysler, or any of the many other cars available then. It is almost as fun trying to get the car home as it will be to buy, test drive it, inspect it and own it. Well, I'm going to watch TV, I have a headache after all of this. By the way, I was talking to Express Auto Transport out of Cincinnati, OH and very likeable, polite and knowledgeable guys. Company ships 13,000 cars annually. If I use them, rather than fight over getting a trailer from U-Haul, I'll let you know how it worked out.

And thanks to HH for the image of the car dimensions. It was valuable. Where is it on this website? I looked, but not being familiar with it yet I did not succeed.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Thank you for the information. I cannot believe how screwed up U-Haul is in trying to get a trailer. I have a 2008 ChevyHD with diesel, gross trailer capacity of 13000 pounds and they are telling me that the truck is too light to haul the car. Unbelievable.

<p>Yes, U-Haul's computer system for sizing capacity of tow vehicles is completely screwed up. The independent proprietors know this, so just <b>exaggerate</b> about your tow truck.</p>
<p>That's what I had to do recently two local tows. One was a 1955 Clipper and the other a 1989 Chevy Caprice. My friend and I had used his 1995 Ford F-250 Turbodiesel with 5 -speed tranny, many times in previous tows hauling Senior V-8 Packards, G-body and F-body Pontiacs, but U-Haul's computer claimed it was too light! So, we just told the proprietor to input F-350 and everything was fine, including the tow.</p>
<p>Go figure.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:29
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Fred: With what has happened to you with your 49 Custom why are you reluctant to post the names of the people who riped
you off.

This site isn't like the AACA web site, posting thier names might be helpfull for another person in the furture. I know that if a person ripped me off like that I would be telling the whole world who the SOB's are.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:00
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Craig: I am sure than U-Hauls computers aren't screwed up when it comes to sizing capacity for towing. The standards are probably set by their insurance carrier.

I am sure that if you rented a trailer from U-Haul and gave them false information and you had an accident with their equipment you would probably lose everything that you owned.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/7/23 20:25
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved