Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Brighter tail light bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Does anyone know where one can purchase the new type replacement bulbs (halogen possibly?) that work in a 6-volt situation? I saw a Model A on tour using the new type lights and they were really visible!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:08
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Re: Brighter tail light bulbs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
These folkshttp://www.lbcarco.com/ sell them as does Bill Hirsch

http://www.hirschauto.com/products.asp?dept=81

I think there are Model A conversions that use LED lights so possibly that is what you are referring to.
I lined the inside of the bulb housings with a chrome tape and it really helped but by no means do I feel it is anymore than barely adequate during daylight hours in modern day traffic.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Denny,

There are a number of places that sell LED units that are meant to replace 1157 and 1154 bulbs.
I have not tried them.

I would have concerns about how they work with a 'turn signal flasher unit' and whether an additional resistance or relay is necessary for them to work. I have not researched it. They work in 12 volt systems and are a favorite of motorcyclists.

Here's one link
http://www.cfrlights.com/sdc.html

Lots of luck,

DanL

http://www.cfrlights.com/sdc.html

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:49
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 6-volt halogens work just fine, at least as I've seen them used on several 1941 models. Just be aware they draw a bit more current and generate a bit more heat, so be observant of clearances to lenses, especially if they are plastic.

But brightening up the reflectors or insides of the light units with silver paint or aluminum foil often works almost as well.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Yes
Aluminium foil is a cheap trick,
(In the best sense of that phrase).

Posted on: 2009/8/11 14:54
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm finding LED versions of the 1157 12V double-filament bulb that was long used as combination stop and turn signal bulb, yet billed as a replacement for 1154 and 1034 bulbs, which I believe were the equivalent function in 6V. There's also an LED version of the 1156 12V single-filament bulb that's billed as a replacement for 1141 and 1073 bulbs, which I believe were the equivalent function in 6V.

However, since all my cars are 12V and I don't have an old application guide at hand, I could be wrong on those 6V bulb trade numbers. If so, feel free to correct me.

LED replacements glow brighter and draw less current, but I've been told that they also run cooler than a filament type bulb. However, because individual LED elements give off light in one direction, you may want to look for an LED array with some LED elements mounted radially, depending on the shape of your lamp.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 16:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a bit of info on this site re brightness & distribution of LED vs conventional light as well as some replacement bulbs.http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Posted on: 2009/8/11 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I use a 6v HEADLITE bulb in my 48 Chief. Not all tail lite housings/lenses have enuf room for the larger globe. Check your particular application for possibility of useing a headlite bulb.

DOWNSIDE is that there is not much difference in LOW/High beam intensity of a headlite bulb relative to normal tail/stop bulb intensity differential.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
The stop/tail lights on my 38 were quite dim but then I redid the grounds and it made a big difference. I also picked up a 6V LED strip for my rear window a Hershey.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i would not use ANY of those led replacement lights!!!!! i have seen them installed, and they are worse than a weak standard bulb! it seems to be that this is because the leds point out, and not back at the reflector. so you only get a small amount of light from them. buyer beware!

Posted on: 2009/8/12 19:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved