Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: dash lights on the 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I played around with the numbers on my 38 speedometer. The numbers has pretty flaked off but there was enough of an outline that I was able to scan the glass and using Photoshop I made a picture of the speedo face. I took my file to a vinyl sign shop and had then make up the face in white. I had the image flipped so that the glue side faced me. I carefully got all the bubbles out and the color and brightness (when lit) matched the other gauge numbers very nicely. I guess I'm too cheap to get new glass from that Packard dash glass place that somebody posted in another thread.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Wonder if the filters are still available or if a modern type could be found or fabricated.

Seems to me I've seen UV sleeves for fluorescent tubes but they probably wouldn't stand up to an incandescent bulb. I figure there must be material still available ... how else did they light up all those discos in the 70's?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One of the prior times this subject came up for discussion, I seem to remember that Randy Berger actually located some Radium paint and redid the numerals etc. on a friend's car.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 11:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes, I did on friend John's 50 eight. The results were so-so. My memory said the original was MUCH brighter. Perhaps Eric's discovery will give better results.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The filters are actually glass and don't seem to deteriorate, but they do get dirty. I have taken apart and cleaned bathtub instrument clusters with fair results--I always paint the inside of clusters in brilliant gloss white to increase internal reflection. A little bit of very judicious flicking with a dry paint brush will remove some of the dead outer surface of the glow in the dark numbers, and the needles are easily painted with that paint the Eric mentioned. In good shape they sure do look cool with the green numbers against a background of purple glow.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
In good shape they sure do look cool with the green numbers against a background of purple glow.

Yes they do, I have to say it's one of the prettiest instrument illumination devices ever devised.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
My dash is fairly dim, but I can see the slight purple glow. Fortunately, my numbers look intact. It's good to know that the filters are glass, and cleaning may do the trick.

My question is, is it better/easier to remove the whole dash, or just the cluster? I have the molding around the windshield out, and can see the six screws across the top. I have eight new 55 bulbs ready to go in...

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/5/10 15:02
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Joey, it's unlikely that cleaning will restore the original instrument performance, though it may help. IIRC the paint contained trace amounts of a radioactive element, radium as I recall - perhaps the same as was used for years in watch hands and faces. It slowly degrades over time, as defined by it's "half life", like any radioactive element. It's use for luminous illumination was discontinued in the 60s dues to health concerns for the workers who painted the instruments, etc.

Here's a discussion about it's use in such applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium

Posted on: 2012/5/10 17:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kelly brickey
See User information
Don't know if anybody is still curious, but my dash is disassembled and I attached a pic in my post . The filters are glass, I think, and they appear absolutely black.
Also, the numbers are recessed into the back of the plastic lens,kind of like one would route out a piece of wood. So, I think it will be a fairly simple process to repaint the numbers. The needles (at least on the small quad gauges), I think will be a bigger problem, as they seem flimsy and quite bendable...
Kelly

Posted on: 2012/5/10 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Joey, it's unlikely that cleaning will restore the original instrument performance, though it may help.

Dave,

By cleaning, I just meant the black light glass filters to improve the effects of the uv light. All my gauges work well exept the speedo, which has a broken cable.

I plan on referring to Kevin's blog for the clock repair.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 20:50
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved