Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
260 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 257

BigKev, Marvin, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 1956 400 Trunk Lining
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Oddly, one of my '56 Pats has 55th Series trunk lining in it - likely the result of assembly line workers using whatever they could get their hands on in the dark days of 1956. I know it's the 55th Series stuff because it was the same as what was in the one '55 Patrician that I had at the same time; that '55 has since been sold.

Here a few pix that may help.

The first shows a sample of a houndstooth pattern on burtex material that Randy Berger found, some years ago, against the correct original lining in my other '56 Pat. The sample matches the original 56th Series material so closely that you may have to look hard to find it!

I suspect that this is the same material that Joel and Sue Ray used to make the their trunk lining kits. Intiitally, they used the burtext to repalce the pritned cardborad material that Packard used on the trunk sides and front, but I though they had used up the existing suppl of NOS material. If they are now supplying cardboard pieces in their kits, that would suggest that they have had the pattern reproduced. If so, that's good news as I have seen a few reproductions with incorrect patterns and on incorrect base materials in years past.

The second pic shows Randy's burtex sample against 55th Series lining for contrast. (Try to ignore the dirt and rust stains on the 55th Series material).

The final image is a close-up view of the 55th Series material, wich is actually a weave of white and black strands. What the pic doesn't show is that the lining used on the trunk floor was bonded to a stiff black material which I can only describe as "tar paper". I didn't check beneath the lining covering the wheel tubs - bonded in place, IIRC.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.02 KB)
103_4a9a87b2aafb7.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (129.48 KB)
103_4a9a88987f7d2.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (120.94 KB)
103_4a9a89ca58571.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2009/8/30 9:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Jordan
See User information
I recently ordered a trunk lining kit for my 56 Caribbean from her (Sue) and am completely satisfied. It was rather easy to install and it looks exactly like the original.
Ron Jordan

Posted on: 2009/10/3 11:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
rjjordan wrote:......56 Caribbean......Ron Jordan

G'day Ron,
See this is your first post, although you are a long time PackardInfo member, so nevertheless!
And for your '56 in the Registry, one of the earlier entries there.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 20:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Jordan
See User information
Hello, Mal,

My 56 Caribbean is currently being repainted and rechromed, etc. at the body shop. He, Sebastian, is a "show-stopper" and as soon as I get it back, I will take new pictures and register him on Packardinfo.

Ron Jordan

Posted on: 2009/10/9 16:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved