Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

Packardbarry, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 288 wants to overheat
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
My 48 Packard with it's 288 engine tries very hard to overheat. The thermostat is out of the engine so no bad thermostat. When the engine is ran the temperature gauge needle stays just before the H on the temperature gauge. The radiator has been been serviced it is not clogged up. Suggestions please as to what my problem may be. Should I pull the water pump and freeze plugs and try and clean the block?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 13:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 288 wants to overheat
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes you should check the water-pump, could be cavitating. Also made sure none of the hoses are soft and collapsing. While the water pump is out, check the distribution tube for sediment build up in the rear.

Also have you checked the timing? If the timing is off it can cause the engine to run hot.

Last thing, put the a good working thermostat back in, it's supposed to be there and serves the function of getting the engine quickly up to the correct operating temperature, even in the summer.

Check the overheating troubleshooting guide in the Service Manual for more options.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 13:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That would be a good step, particularly the water distribution tube behind the water pump. Many have reported those being severely clogged upon removal. The freeze plugs and that side of block will be a help but would do the water pump and tube first and see if improved.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 13:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless you know it's been done recently, on a new acquisition I'd always recommend pulling the water pump and distribution tube, inspect them, and pull a welch plug or two and flush out. But maybe first you should use a good laboratory quality glass/mercury thermometer (forget the roast beef one in the kitchen) and insert it in the radiator neck and compare that reading to the position of the gauge.

If you browse this site you'll MANY inquiries similar to yours and some of them gave very good comprehensive advice and lists of things to check; you should find and review them but here's a few things to consider:

1. Retarded ignition timing
2. Lean carburetor mixture
3. Undersize exhaust or tailpipe
4. Restrictive muffler
5. Too narrow a fan belt (rides on pulley base, not sides)
6. Blown headgasket (do a compression test)
7. Collapsing or deteriorated radiator hose, esp lower.
8. Excessive distance between fan and radiator

Posted on: 2009/8/29 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Unless you know it's been done recently, on a new acquisition I'd always recommend pulling the water pump and distribution tube, inspect them, and pull a welch plug or two and flush out. But maybe first you should use a good laboratory quality glass/mercury thermometer (forget the roast beef one in the kitchen) and insert it in the radiator neck and compare that reading to the position of the gauge.

If you browse this site you'll MANY inquiries similar to yours and some of them gave very good comprehensive advice and lists of things to check; you should find and review them but here's a few things to consider:

1. Retarded ignition timing
2. Lean carburetor mixture
3. Undersize exhaust or tailpipe
4. Restrictive muffler
5. Too narrow a fan belt (rides on pulley base, not sides)
6. Blown headgasket (do a compression test)
7. Collapsing or deteriorated radiator hose, esp lower.
8. Excessive distance between fan and radiator

I do not doubt your wisdom, but do have some questions.

If you had a narrower fan belt and it rode lower in the water pump pulley, would this not cause the pump to pump slightly more at a given rpm (not that i expect it to be enough to make a difference)

Why would it run hotter?

Also, i know these eights are strange ladies, but on most motors doesn't running a bit too advanced build heat instead of retarded?

I don't doubt what you're saying, i would just like to know the why behind it, especially the fan belt. I had to use a slightly narrower one to change sizes to one that would work with my 6v pos grnd alternator i put on my 50 288.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 23:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The fan belt needs the combined surface area of both sides of the pulley plus the "wedge effect" of the V to transfer the power required for the fan and pump w/o slipping. If it rides in the bottom of the groove,yes you have a better numerical ratio, but it simply can't transfer the power.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 1:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Excellent! I'm still getting good contact to the sides. My water pump is shot, it's rattling and the pulley wobbles like crazy so it's been warmer than usual. I have a new one ready to go on, and just wanted to make sure i wasn't adding trouble with the slightly more narrow belt.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 10:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved