Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 188

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

55-56 Generator Arm Placement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Looking at the engine compartment (front looking rearward) which way should the generator swing arm be positioned? Should the 'slot' be immediately above the generator or should it instead be (reversed) and attached to the right onto the block?

Posted on: 2009/9/7 21:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Generator Arm Placement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've only seen it at the generator side. Tensioning instructions say loosen the pivot bolt and adjusting strap bolt then pull at 50 pounds in direction of adjusting slot.

EDIT: 55th series engine training manual shows it at the generator with "hump" at top.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My opinion (and it's worth exactly what you paid for it) is garnered from various Packard publications and ads. In 1955 the slot is at the generator, but in 1956 the slot is on the water manifold housing. I believe they swapped it end-for-end because when the engine was rocked hard, the bracket would hit the passenger side fender.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 23:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The shop manual only shows 55th Series engines, but I concur with Randy's position.

I've found that strap/brace/arm mounted either way on 56th Series V8s, but anything could have happened in the decades since these cars rolled off the assembly line. Regardless, I have always reoriented them so that the slot is at the engine end. It does provide a bit more clearance.

As such, I wouldn't fault any 55th Series owner for going against the documentation to protect their investment in paint.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 7:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One thing to always keep in mind when looking at illustrations in parts, shop and service manuals is that most of this material was prepared and printed before the cars ever went into production and thus the sources for such pictures were often early prototypes, demonstration or display components, photos taken during design and development, and the like. The most authoritative illustrations regarding such details would be photos taken on the actual assembly line or from unmolested original cars of which there are darned few if any around which haven't at least been tinkered with to some degree.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 8:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
On my very late '56 the slot is on the generator side, it should come up from the water pump at almost a 40-some degree angle and curve to be almost flat as it goes to the genny. My inner fender has a stamped dimple where the end of the bracket is, to alleviate the bracket hitting the inner fender when the engine rocks.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
My 56 pat is also like Mr. Pushbutton's. It also has a dimple in the fender where the end of the bracket arm ends but, even with the dimple it's still very close to the fender,and I don't know if swapping it end for end would be an improvement or not. Probably pro's and con's to either scenario.
My car was a one owner so I believe it to be in it's original position, but there is no way to know that for sure.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 17:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, all three of my '56s have the die-stamped dimple in the fender splasher to clear the end of the adjusting strap. I wouldn't doubt that the one '55 Pat that I used to own had that dimple as well.

With the slot positioned at the generator, the end of the strap extends past the top bolt of the generator, just barely clearing the fender splasher dimple.

With the slot at the water manifold bolt, any excess now extends toward the engine.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Unless YOU owned the vehicle from new, you couldn't be sure whether the generator bracket was positioned properly or not. Even then some zealous mechanic might have changed it upon delivery all the while muttering about the "dumb B#$%^&*s at the factory.
Here is a scan from the 56 brochure and while you're at it note the red lettering on the chrome valve cover.
Also note that just as in real life, the tranny cooler doesn't line up exactly with the water pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.30 KB)
23_4aa6f0f543fb5.jpg 955X826 px

Posted on: 2009/9/8 19:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What's a poor restorer to do other than find a stiff bracer and hope a future judge doesn't know what is correct either. At least the oil cooler is consistently out of align..

Attach file:

jpg  (82.86 KB)
209_4aa6f8b2d15e2.jpg 700X675 px

Posted on: 2009/9/8 19:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved