Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 204

Don B, BigKev, 37Blanche, R H, RCJ56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 55-56 Generator Arm Placement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Very interesting Randy, I have that brochure and there it is, contrary to how I found my car. what Brian says about the excess strap going towards the eninge makes sense.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 23:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm sure there was enough confusion at Conner that the adjusting strap wasn't always installed in the "proper" orientation, and most other cars I've worked on with that sytle of adjustment do have the slotted end at the generator.

My position is that both '55 and '56 cars would benefit from the slot being at the engine end, but if an owner wants to abide by the documentation (for judging purposes), it's his call.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would have expected that the generator and strap would have been installed at Utica and not Conner Ave.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hmm? I thought just the opposite. I thought Utica would just ship engines to Conner. The add-ons like starter, gen, oil-fill pipe, draft tube. oil filter, fan etc would all be installed at Conner.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hmm, I don't recall ever seeing anything to indicate that engines were delivered from Utica to Conner with all the "accessories" in place and ready to drop onto the chassis at Conner.

However, the fact that the adjusting strap is painted the same color as the engine may support installation of at least that strap at Utica.

Perhaps the folks up there were having a rough time of it, as well.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not very many photos from inside Utica seem to have surfaced over the years, I've only seen perhaps 3 or 4 of engine block boring/honing operations and the like. Hopefully more will surface.

I was just guessing about the generators etc. being put on at Utica, but given that it was generous in space and Connor was very limited in space, I'd guess that engines were pretty well completely assembled when shipped. Maybe some new photos will surface on this topic.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 13:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Look at the Connor floor layout plan from "metal working" in the issue of TPC that featured my article on the Connor plant. There does not appear to be an area labeled for dressing the engines (which does not mean they didn't do it there definitively) but Brian is right-they had oodles of room at utica and were on top of each other at Connor.
This kind-of dovetails with my query as to pushbutton actuator finish. I have seen some, Greezy as hell that were painted engine/trans color and have seen some equally as greezy that had the reminants of cad plating on them.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
My bronze colored engine is sure a lot darker in color than the one in the picture and it doesn't have chrome valve covers either. Were the crome covers an option or just artist conception for sales brochures.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Randy, I have a nos chrome valve cover in the Packard box with red lettering. I also have a nos pair that are not red lettered.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 21:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
i have an early built 56 packard clipper deluxe with only 64555 original miles so its never been apart as far as i can see.i am in the process of puling the engine due to being locked up,so i noted the way the generator adjustment bracket is mounted,the adjustment slot mounts to what i would call the thermostat manifold.i hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 21:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved