Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

Nevada56Hudson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Afton Station Packard Museum Oklahoma
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Seems to have a nice collection of Packards. I especially like the color of the green '53 or '54.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWNv7qgTns0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWNv7qgTns0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2009/9/13 14:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Afton Station Packard Museum Oklahoma
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're right, that is an impressive collection of Packards for what appears to be a small museum. One would think anything Route 66 related would be mostly Ford Chevy. I think there was a Cord or maybe Huppmobile too.

It appears to be a 53 Clipper and I think the body color you like is Galahad Green Metallic however there is an anomaly. The car appears to be two tone unless that is huge reflected lighting shining off top. If two, like so many others, it must have been repainted. The only two tone green listed for 53 is code KO & the Packard factory combo would usually be the lighter color or Orchard Green on bottom and darker or Galahad would be on top.

Packard had some similar & very nice darker greens from 51-4. Valiant Green Metallic in 51, Gallant Green metallic in 52, Galahad Green metallic in 53 and my favorite, Gulf Green Metallic as a mid year intro in 54.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Thanks HH for identifying the year and possible color combos. For some reason, I like the '51-54 body styles in different shades of green or Dark Blue. It is a beautiful color.

I seem to like the more unususal colors on classic cars. They stand out among the abundant car show colors of Red. Black. & Blue. The mid to late 50's had some realy flashy colors, Chrysler Corp had alot of zany tri-color combinations. I appreciate them for the time jperiod they represent. The names of the colors were just as zany as the colors themselves.

It looks like a small museum, but there are larger museums who have fewer packards, so hats off the Afton Station Rt 66 museum.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Great video, looks like a place we'll have to get up to one day --- its a shame though that they just sit there, I know they need to be preserved but they were made to be driven and enjoyed -- mine is not anywhere near as pretty and won't be for a while, if ever -- but I will be driving it!!LOL

Posted on: 2009/9/13 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
The Cord look alike is actually either a Graham Hollywood or Hupmobile Skylark, both of which were built on modified Cord 810/812 tooling. They were converted to rear wheel drive and used engines specific to whichever badge was on the car.

As rare as the Cords were, these made them seem as common as a Vega leaving a blue cloud trail back in the 70's

Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:00
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Afton Station
See User information
I'm Laurel, from the videotaped Afton Station. I'd just like to thank those who made comments about our museum, and to add a few comments myself. I've never seen your site before, but I'm glad to know it's here.

To the person who commented on the need for Packards to be driven and not just parked in a museum, I must assure you that every one of our Packards are driveable and most of them are driven regularly. We, too, believe that these beauties need to be on the road. I must say that we don't take them out quite as much as we used to when we lived in and had the collection in Connecticut, but we still believe in driving them. We used to take them to Amelia Island, Meadowbrook, Greenwich Concours, etc.but our lifestyle change and move to the midwest has forced us mainly to exhibit at more local shows.

We have quite a few more Packards that don't fit in the current museum space (it's an old restored gas station in an "almost" ghost town in northeast Oklahoma), so we are about to start construction of a second building so that we can put the pre-wars in one showroom and the post-wars in another, to facilitate getting them out without having to move a lot of cars.

The car that one of you remarked on is indeed a '41 Hupp Skylark.

You can see our Station and a very incomplete listing of a few of the other cars we have at www.postcardsfromtheroad.net and www.aftonstation66.com We would love to have a visit from anyone who is ever in the area.

Laurel Kane
Afton Station & Route 66 Packards

Posted on: 2009/9/15 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
to the site Laurel, glad to hear that yall drive those Packards around!!! beautiful cars indeed --- will be up to see your place in the near future

Posted on: 2009/9/15 17:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Afton Station wrote: I'm Laurel,.......every one of our Packards are driveable and most of them are driven regularly. ........We would love to have a visit from anyone who is ever in the area.......

G'day Laurel,
Like to add my too. Don't think I'll be there any time soon to see your Packards but would love too, the distance factor is a killer, but you never know....one of these days.

Also like to invite you to include ALL your Packards in the Owner Registry here, including a pic, any known history and how you acquired them. I'm sure a plug for Afton Station & Route 66 Packards in the description you enter for each one won't be a problem.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 17:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Hi Laurel, thanks for chiming in here. I was recently in your neck of the woods (or lack of woods LOL) and sadly couldn't find the time to stop by although I did get a chance to visit the Starbird museum....I was that close!

Posted on: 2009/9/15 18:10
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Laurel,

I enjoyed your website & video. I hope to stop into your Afton museum, as we plan a route 66 trip in the near future. I like that you have so many Packards!

Posted on: 2009/9/15 18:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved