Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valve Adjustment
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Frank1951
See User information
Where can I find the procedure for adjusting the valves on my 1951 Straight Eight?

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve Adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Probably not necessary. The 1951 327 had hydraulic valve lifters. If that one did I would guess the 288 did as well

Posted on: 2009/9/16 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A bit of information is on page 22 of the engine section of service manual--but an aftermarket Motors or Chiltons Manual may provide more general procedural detail.

As Bob1951 mentioned, you may not need to adjust. Look at the engine serial number. In 51, if it is a 288 from J200001 to J275000 it would probably have solids. All other engines had hydraulic. If your number is in the range but at the end of the serial number there is an H, then it was equipped with hydraulic on special order.

Of course, that doesn't mean the original hydraulics are still there. They could have been changed through the years. I know of one engine changed because the owner couldn't afford new hydraulic lifters but had a parts engine with solids so in they went.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 19:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
All of the 1951-1954 288's were solid Lifters.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Frank

The Chilton's manual covering your era has 2 different procedures for adjusting valves in the front matter. The Motor's manual may have one too.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/9/16 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
The '51 to '54 service manual on this site has the info. <url>https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Engine_IX.pdf</url> I believe it starts on page 24.

I think I read somewhere that they should be adjusted every 20k miles. I can't remember where. Maybe the service manual or the owners manual.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
If you plan on doing a lot of driving you may want to consider increasing the lash as the original specs where oriented towards not only a super smooth running engine but a QUIET one as well.

Yes, loose valves can burn, but if you experience any seat recession they your lash will go tight not loose.

Now that you have to go a little further than across town to find your local Packard dealer (unless your time machine is more reliable than mine), valves are a little more difficult to come by so you want to modify a few specs to take that into account.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 22:23
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved