Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Engine Number Questions & Proper Running & Intake Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions, some are curiosity, some are ignorance. Just noticed some things on my car.

1. I know where the engine number is. On a square section to the left of it, it appears there is something engraved there. It's hard to see on my car, but I think I see 076. Anyone know what this number is?

2. On top of the cylinder head, my car shows 428408 above the 288. What is that number? Also, my car says its a 288 STD 327 AT. I know what the 288 is, but what about the rest?

3. On the front of the cylinder head, by the fan, is a metal tag attached with two screws. I think it is a number, but mine is hard to see. What is it?

4. On top of my intake manifold, there is a petcock (like the drain on a radiator) that I can open and close. What is it's purpose? I would take a picture but the camera is out of commission.

5. When first starting my car, a "cloud" of light blue smoke hangs in the air. Is this oil burning or typical of an old car without emission controls?

By the way, my car is a '51 200 with ultramatic trans.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2009/9/24 18:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Number Questions & Proper Running & Intake Manifold
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Re your #2, the 428408 is a casting number, from a single casting several different part numbers could be made. The 288 STD 327 AT means the head was intended for the 288 engine with standard transmission and the 327 with automatic transmission.

Re your #4, the petcock is not original.

Re your #5, the blue smoke indicates some engine wear, probably rings but could also be intake valve guides. These engines when new or in good condition shouldn't make visible smoke.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Owen for your input. Since the block says 288 STD, does that mean it is not the correct engine for my car? I have an automatic. The engine number is hard to read, but I can make out the beginning as J2029... which puts it as correct for the year according to the chart on this website.

I also notice smoke comes from the oil filler when the motor heats up some. Is this normal or indicitive of bad rings or valves?

Any ideas what purpose the petcock would be for? Wipers work (kind of...they wipe outward and then get stuck) so it wouldn't be for them...

Posted on: 2009/9/24 20:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The head was probably swapped out at some point. My engine is a 327 block with a 288 AT head on it.

Where on the actual block does it say 288 STD?

Posted on: 2009/9/24 21:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
It says 288 STD 327 AT on the cylinder head. It is cast in just like "Packard" is on it. The engine number on the block itself indicates it is a 288 from 1951. I guess that means the block is original, but the head is not?

Posted on: 2009/9/25 7:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
51Packard, 1951 288 cu. in. engines had numbers in the J200000 series. Whether the engine numbering sequence started with 001 or 000 differs with various "sources". I believe they started with 001.

There should also be a casting date on the lower part of the engine just above where the oil pan surface is and just ahead of the bell housing.

Your engine has a 3 1/2" bore, a 3 3/4" stroke, and develops 135 bhp at 3,600 rpm. The standard compression ratio for your engine and the 327 cu. in. engine is 7.00:1. It would seem that a standard compression ratio head for a 327, if fitted to your 288, would result in a lower than 7.00:1 ratio. A high compression head was offered in 1952 that was 7.50:1 and boosted the bhp to 138 at 3,600 rpm.

Posted on: 2009/9/25 8:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
51 Packard,
If your 51 engine is like my 53 engine, #3 has the date the engine was made.
Ken

Posted on: 2009/9/25 18:09
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
What advantage would there be using a standard 288 head on one with an automatic? Higher compression is better, right?

The smoke I notice from the car cannot be seen coming from the tailpipe. You see it lofting in the air when the sun hits it. Maybe I could get away with just replacing the rings? A while ago I did a compression test and got 120 on each cylinder. What would be considered good? Can you change the rings without removing the motor from the car or the cylinder head? I would hate to break one of the 100 studs on the top of the cylinder head. My dad told me that back in the day they would pull the piston from the oil pan to change the rings. I would think the crankshaft would get in the way.

I took another look at the petcock on the intake. It definitely looks newer than the rest of the car. What purpose could it have served?

Is the casting date on the drivers side or passenger side? Can you see it from above or do you need to look from underneath?

Sorry for the rookie questions. I don't know a lot about motors.

Posted on: 2009/9/25 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
My dad told me that back in the day they would pull the piston from the oil pan to change the rings. I would think the crankshaft would get in the way.

You can do that on a Hudson straight eight, but not a Packard. You have to pull the head.

Posted on: 2009/9/25 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Casting date on lower right-hand side of engine just above bottom of engine and in front of bell housing. Casting date on cylinder head is for cylinder head, not engine.

Posted on: 2009/9/25 20:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved