Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 183

Ozstatman, JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

towing
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ramon R.
See User information
Hello all,is it necessary to remove the driveshaft from my 1952 Patrician before using a tow dolly? The car has been sitting for about 10 years covered in a garage. thanks in advance for any comments!

Posted on: 2009/10/14 13:36
 Top  Print   

Re: towing
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Hello all,is it necessary to remove the driveshaft from my 1952 Patrician before using a tow dolly?

I'm assuming that the car has an automatic and not a standard transmission.

There are several threads on here that address that issue. You can tow the car on it's rear wheels without the need to remove the drive shaft with some restrictions as to how far and at what speed.

My opinion here is, because the car has been sitting for so long, you would be far better off unhooking the drive shaft or towing the car with the rear wheels off the ground. The short answer, in my opinion, is Yes remove the drive shaft.

My 51 had been sitting about 10 years too. I was able to get it running so I figured if the car would move then the trans was ok for now and drove the car home.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Not that it matters anymore, but I had my '56 Patrician towed one time when it died for a distance of about 10 miles, before we pulled over and dropped the driveshaft.(at 60mph) It didn't hurt it and I actually think it ended up helping it some. But yes, I'd drop the driveshaft from the rear end and wire it to the side for anything further than 10 miles.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 14:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
fzhv00 wrote:......my 1952 Patrician........

G'day fzhv00,
See you've been a PackardInfo member for a while but seeing this is your first post - Also, could you please include your '52 Patrician in the Owner Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I would disconnect the drive shaft. I had my car towed (was drivable) for 30 miles. When it got to my house, the trans was smoking. I don't know if it was because there was not enough fluid (must have had some if it would drive), or they didn't take it all the way out of gear, but had to get it rebuilt.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
51Packard,

That was an expensive tow job.
I would take your disconnect recommendation (and others) very seriously.

What do you think, fzhv00?

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/15 15:27
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would be making the towing company pay for the trans rebuild if I was you.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
The "towing company" was a couple of foreigners who loaded the car on a dolly and towed it with a '70's Monte Carlo. We were in a shadier side of Chicago and it was getting dark so we were ready to get out of there. The guy we were buying the car from couldn't find anyone willing to take the car as far as we needed to go. I planned on having the trans rebuilt anyway, but not that soon. Pretty big blow for an 18 year old, plus I think I got ripped off on the rebuild... but that's another story.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 20:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ramon R.
See User information
Hey, thanks to all of you for your supportive advice! This is a great forum! I was lucky enough to find a friend of a friend with a car hauler that was kind enough to let me use for a couple of days so it all worked out in the end. Again, thank you guys for the help. Will have the car registered and pics up on the site soon!

Posted on: 2009/10/19 6:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved