Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: V-belt for 1947 356
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, I'd be suspicious of that #25-28522 belt shown in post #1, it appears much to narrow and in danger of bottoming out on the pulleys and not being driven by the side flanges, which of course means lots of slippage. We know that appropriately sized 356 belts have been in repro for some time and readily available, right?

Posted on: 2009/10/27 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, Good eyes on seeing the NAPA belt problem. You are correct it is not as wide as is called for in the belt specs. It did not slip or cause any other problems, but it is the wrong belt and the situation needs to be fixed. Correct again on the reproduction belts being available. The problem is not with getting the right belt, the problem is with the generator or its mounting which does not allow tightening of the correct width and length belt. I am going to try for a shorter, correct width, belt. If that fails I'll do something about the generator mounting or adjustment strap.

Welcome back, if must have been an interesting trip. You did see Egyptian pyramids and ruins in addition to the autos in the Balkans, yes? Any Packards in the hieroglyphics? Are Packard camels one humped or two?

Please see my comments on the PAC site addressing a pinion seal replacement. I referenced your procedure. I hope I got it right.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 13:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, please disregard my comments about Egyptian Packards and camels. As always, you always present yourself in a polite and gentlemanly manner.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 17:08
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yesterday, I went to the O'Rilley's auto parts store and found a person who could find and read the Gates catalogs. We found a belt (one of three in the Houston store), Gates TR 30506 that is 15/16" in width, 51 1/8" outside length and 3 1/4" shorter than the TR 30537 belt that is too long. Price: $31.99. I think this belt will work on my Clipper with the non-standard generator and/or adjusting strap. I will keep you all posted. Some expressed interest in the crinkle finish on the generator. Here is the starter.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.64 KB)
565_4ae9beaa889a6.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/10/29 11:11
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I don't have my belt number here with me but that number looks like the one I remember. If it is it will be just slightly too long. I simply took the bracket off split it into and added two small strips of metal about an inch long. Dressed the welds and painted it. It looks original and works fine.
Good luck. Hopefully the belt you found works without any further modifications.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 13:16
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
John, I have a 47 Super Clipper and I went thru the same frustrating process to secure the proper fan belt. Gates, Dayco and others do not have the proper belt. I finally contacted John Ulrich and spent $50.00 for the repro belt. It fits correctly and there is plenty of space on the generator strap for future tension adjustment. The difference between original and repro is that repro belt has cogs. He is some info I gathered during my search

1940-47 52 1/4 od X 1" wide X 42 degrees

1948-49 53 od X 1" wide X 42 degrees

1949-50 52.9 od X 1" wide X 42 degrees

The above info was taken from Packard documents.

Good luck..

Posted on: 2009/10/30 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
dallas, I spoke with Ulrich about his belt and asked him if he could give me the outside diameter measurement to make sure it would fit my car before ordering. He said that he was unable to do this. Do you have the outside diameter measurement for Ulrich's belt? He told me that Merritt gets their belts from him. Your information is much appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 20:30
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
John, I don't have access to the car. I do have the old original belt and it measures 52 and 5/8 around the outer/top of belt. I also have a used belt from a 1948 custom and it measures 53 and 1/4 inches.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

dallas wrote:
John, I don't have access to the car. I do have the old original belt and it measures 52 and 5/8 around the outer/top of belt....

That's pretty darn close to the Chilton specs I gave in the original thread.

Quote:

FWIW according to Chilton's, the fan belt for a 1947 2103, 06, 26 has the following specs (inches):

V Angle:... 42
Length OC. 52 11/16
Width Max. 1 1/32

Posted on: 2009/11/1 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
JD, You must consider the measurements I provided are for used belts which have been installed and probably stretched.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 13:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved