Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

kevinpackard, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: V-belt for 1947 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Et Al: To continue the v-belt saga.

The Gates TR30506 v-belt (15/16" x 51") just received from O'Rilley's is too short.

The Gates TR30537 (15/16" x 54 3/8") is too long, but can be made to work with a bracket extension.

The NAPA 28522 (3/4" x 52 3/4") is a length that fits, but it is too narrow.

Going back to basics and using information supplied by "dallas" and "JDinKC" I believe the answer is a repro belt (as suggested by "Ownen_Dyneto"). The belt dimensions for a proper v-belt are 1" x 52 3/4" x 42 deg. which is shorter than the TR30537 and longer than the TR30506, and should be just right.

I am going to order a 351106 belt from John Ulrich. Ulrich's price is about $50 the other belts cost about $35. So much for tying to source them locally. This all makes me tired. Thanks to all. I let you know how this all turns out.

Oh yes, my generator is mounted just like the one pictured from "BigKev".

Posted on: 2009/11/4 11:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
... So much for tying to source them locally. This all makes me tired. Thanks to all. ...

I know what you are going through but you never know until you try. Documenting your experience here is a great help to others who at some point may need to go belt shopping.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gee, it took us a long time to come around to what I had thought was already common knowledge (but apparently not that common) - that is, that a proper sized belt is not available except thru Ulrich.

Even back in the 70s I had a difficult time getting a 356 belt for my 2306, but finally located one at a GM Truck & Bus dealer, it might have been a Gates 85-T or something like that.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 12:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
This is all very amusing. When I bought my Packard the belt was an old one that had been on the car for possibly as much as 50 years. In the trunk was a belt that although quite worn was wider but too short. The belt on the car, being too narrow, caused the car to run hot and was slippng on the pulleys so I bought a wider one of the same length from NAPA which really fit nicely. Not having a lot of Packards (none actually, until I found my parts car)to compare it to in these parts I assumed that the little extension piece from the generator to the adjuster strap was stock since it also had been on the car for many years.
Obviously someone long ago was having problems buying a correct belt and substituted the longer narrower belt and fabricated the extension piece possibly as early as the 1950's.
My guess is that the short belt which I found in the trunk and saved is original and correct as it is 1" wide and almost 53" long and possible the original one installed by Packard in 1947 given the fact that the cars mileage is low and original and this one is quite worn.
Just for the sake of authenticity I don't think that I will bother buying a correct repro as the NAPA belt works fine and the shows I attend are never judged for originality. I guess that Kev should amend the parts X reference to reflect this since the numbers I posted are incorrect. Thanks John for all your labours in sorting this out. This is THE place for information on Packards!

Posted on: 2009/11/4 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Owen_Dyneto: Well, maybe I'm just an uncommon man, not giving into common knowledge. I ordered a 351106 reproduction v-belt from John Ulrich this afternoon. We shall see, we shall see...

clipper47: Do you really have two of the bracket extensions? This would really add stangeness to the situation.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:13
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, No I do not have two bracket extensions but I am not sure if I had left one on my parts car since the adjuster bracket is also with the car and until I get out to where it is located I won't know for sure, but I doubted it. If there is one I will be very surprised.
Sometimes "common knowledge" about V-belts just doesn't filter up this far north either.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jmmfranklin
See User information
John Ulrich's belt should work fine and is most appropriate

Posted on: 2009/11/4 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
clipper47, thanks. I made a bracket extension so I could fit the Gates TR30537 v-belt, but decided not to give in to the dark side (at least not just yet), and see if Ulrich's belt will solve the problem.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 17:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, I think that is just as well. It is always nice to keep these cars as original as we can. Now that I know my old belt is original and correct I will remove the extension and install belt whenever I am showing the car at Pebble Beach or Meadowbrook.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 21:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
clipper47, let me know if you need a "polish boy" to keep the car wiped down when you display it at Meadowbrook and Pebble Beach. I'll pay my own expenses.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved