Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 242

TxGoat, BigKev, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

First ever restore/repair 51 touring sedan help
Just popping in
Just popping in

Kevin8888
See User information
Hey, I'm new to the forum as well as to restoring cars (new to driving as well but that is beside the point lol). I plan on buying a 1951 200 touring sedan (as far as I know that is the model) it will be my first car and I want to make it my regular driver. It hasn't been started in 5 years and has been in storage for around 15 years, but was in running condition before it was put into storage.

What I am wondering is, since it has been in storage so long, and I want to make it my every day driver, should I completely rebuild the engine/transmission? As in take every thing apart, replace parts where needed, new gaskets etc, or should I just leave it as in if it will run?

I assume I should replace the brake systems completely, or just the brake lines? Should the suspension be alright as is? I haven't inspected the car in person yet but in the pictures there doesn't seem to be to much rust on any thing, though the underbody I have no clue about. Also what is the cost invovled in restoring a car in reasonable condition? (I know it really depends but I want to hear what others have spent, and I'm talking driveable, not nessisarily period correct parts only)?

Finally what are some good stores or online retailers that sell quality/reasonably priced Packard parts that ships to Canada?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out with this.

Kevin

Posted on: 2009/11/1 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: First ever restore/repair 51 touring sedan help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I would definitely redo all the brake lines, cylinders, fluid, ect. If the car starts and runs fine, then I wouldn't touch the engine. Change the oil obviously. Change the trans fluid and see how it shifts. Again, if it is smooth, I wouldn't mess with it. Fuel tank will probably need to be dropped and have all the crap taken out of it. Fuel pump and carb may need attention. Might need to replace the steel fuel lines and any rubber lines as well.

I would just concentrate on the mechanicals so you have a proper running engine and worry about the body later. Also, you need a decent seat to sit in so if the mice have gotten to your interior, you will need to get something to sit on. How many miles do you plan on driving it daily?

Posted on: 2009/11/1 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Kevin

Welcome to Packard information and Packard-ing as well.
When you get your car, please add it to the Owners registry. OZ will soon give you a link if you haven't found it yet.

There was a recent forum on what-to-do-first. I will look for a link.
Here it is:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3723&forum=4&post_id=39071#forumpost39071

Packard Parts and Vendors: See the directory below:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/mxdirectory/viewcat.php?cid=3

1. Use the SEARCH function on forums

2. Read thru old forums Titles that interest you.

3. Ask your questions

4. Just stick around - there are lots of helpful discussions and members.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/11/1 20:02
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Be prepared for a lot of constant tinkering if are going to use it as a daily driver. I have a 21 year old car as a daily driver and even though is has a modern engine and tranny I still have to tinker with it to keep everything in good working order. Your car is over 50 years old- just be prepared

Posted on: 2009/11/1 20:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome and hope you do become a Packard owner.

51Packard made some good suggestions and the only thing others have suggested more than once is go ahead and drop the oil pan to clean the sludge out of the sump and particularly, any in the oil pump pickup. Also gives a chance to see the general condition down there.

Would almost bet money a carb & fuel pump rebuild would be in order after sitting all that time. The old type rubber materials and todays gas also don't play well together. Depending on how it runs, it might also benefit from a set of plugs and wires.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 21:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kevin8888
See User information
I plan to drive it around 15-40 miles a day at the most (except the off day with longer road trip or what ever, though the average being around 15-20 miles, though this is dependant on work, as I may have a job closer to home soon in which case it would likely be around 5-10 miles a day.

I accept that I will be doing a lot of tinkering with it, as yes its over 50 (its older then my dad haha) but thats one of the biggest reasons I want it, because I want something that I can take care of and learn about. If it gets to bad I could always buy a cheap used car for my daily and the 51 only on weekends or something haha. I don't expect it to be easy and I don't want it to be easy, I want a bit of a challenge.

It is interesting that you commented on seats because I was not really expecting that lol. The seats/interior are in pretty bad condition, all torn up, but oddly enough its a minimal concern to me, I plan on rebuilding the seats from the frame up, using new materials and covering with leather (if I still have enough money once the car is running smooth and safe) and I will be doing it all myself, because I have some upholstery experience. The thing I know the least about is the engine, I can do the upholstery without any problems the body work wont be much of an issue either, its making and keeping the engine running that I know little about.

Which is why I've spent the last week reading about engine work/repairs/tuning for classic/antique cars during my spare time. Since I found this forum I'm not as worried as there will be other people who have experience with Packards.

Thanks for the input guys!

Posted on: 2009/11/1 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It all depends on your budget and what parts you can find right away.

Here's why I say that, about 5 years ago I bought a '56 Patrician that sat for 40 years in a field. I brought it home, and cleaned it up. I pulled the engine and trans out of it, and found out that the engine was totally seized, it's still under my bench in the garage. Luckily, I had a running V8 Packard engine that I decided to put in it, using the original trans. I replaced the converter seal in the trans while it was out, and cleaned the grease off of it. That's all I did to the trans. Next, I put the engine and trans back in, and bought a new Edelbrock carb and found a fuel pump for it. I didn't replace the fuel line or the brake lines in it. I did replace the brake hoses and wheel cylinders, as well as put new brake shoes on it. All these were available at the local parts store, if you know how to look for them. I did blow out the lines with an air compressor, but didn't replace any of the steel lines.

Next, I got the suspension working, and got it all greased. This is essential that you do this, because a LOT of old cars I've worked on just needed greased up, the suspension components were almost new under the surface rust, so I didn't mess with them.

I didn't do anything to the interior, as I didn't have the money to. The front seat was in good condition when I first started driving it, but by the time I sold it I had a blanket in the front driver's seat as there was nothing but a hole worn down, the foam that seemed good had hardened and crumbled under the daily abuse of my butt.

It turned out to be a wonderful car, very dependable once I got the bugs worked out. I drove it for over two years as a daily driver, and only had three major breakdowns that left me walking, all from the same problem that I FINALLY figured out.

I say go for it, do a little at a time, and you'll have a good car as a daily driver, as long as you don't care about the looks for right now. Have fun with it, ask a lot of questions and we'll answer them!

Posted on: 2009/11/1 23:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Kevin8888 wrote: Hey, I'm new to the forum......I plan on buying a 1951 200 touring sedan.......Kevin

G'day Kevin,
Like to add my to those already given. Good luck with the purchase of the '51. I think you're off to a great start by asking questions, keep them coming and you'll learn as you go along. As you've seen there are plenty of experienced, knowledgeable and friendly Packard people here willing to help. Add your Packard to the Registry please, as DanL suggested, see the link in my signature.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 1:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Kevin,

You might want to consider a cheap beater vehicle for the winter. The bodies and pot metal chrome trim on 1951 Packards don't take kindly to heavily salted roads.
That said, you will find that these cars are simple and reliable. I drove a 1951 Patrician as an everyday vehicle for several years in the early 60's with no problems in spite of not being gentle with it.
Engine, suspension, transmission and rear axle parts are still available from vendors that you will find on this site. Brake and electrical items can be found at your local parts store as long as you know what to ask for. The parts x-ref on this site is helpful for many of these things.
As others have said, it would be good to check the car out thouroughly wnen you get it and come back to this site for advice.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 3:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Although Turbopackman did not replace his steel brake lines, I would recommend it. If you read the threads about the dangers of the old brakes, it would be cheap insurance to do so. I had a line give out that I thought was good. Luckily a chain link fence was there to stop me and no one got hurt.

I didn't recommend dropping the oil pan...because I never have! Not a bad idea though...I wonder what mine looks like in there!

Also, since you are going to drive so far, pay more attention to the cooling system so you don't overheat.

A winter beater is a great idea too.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 12:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved