Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1955 Caribbean Manual Trans.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm quoting a road test from 1952 or 53. It was published in Mechanix Illustrated magazine and written by Tom McCahill.

He in turn was quoting Packard executives whom he talked to when he visited Detroit and tested the Packard on their proving ground test track.

Their policy was to offer manual transmission on all models, if the customer requested it. Including models that came with Ultramatic as standard equipment.

McCahill contrasted this with other companies who offered automatic transmission or nothing, then claimed their customers "demanded" automatic transmissions.

He applauded this policy and praised Packard for treating their customers as free thinking Americans not prestige buying stooges.

Whether this policy continued under the Nance administration I do not know. But it at least raises the possibility that a Caribbean could be special ordered with manual 3 speed or overdrive transmission.

This is a long way from proving a particular car was built that way but at least it opens the door.

If anyone has any further information it would make an interesting story.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In 1953 the only Packard that ultramatic was standard equipment on was the Patrician. In 1954 the ultramatic came as standard equipment on the Patrician and Caribbean.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/23 21:44
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I remember that at one time Dan Yocum had a manual transmission with bell-housing attached sitting in his yard that he hold me was out of a parted and crushed 56 Caribbean.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 1:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, the two manual transmission conversions I've seen looked really clunky, because they retained the large, low-set power brake pedal and added the smaller, higher-set clutch pedal. Hurt my eyes just to see it.

Bottom line, we can write about couldda, shouldda, wouldda, but until someone can show production orders and factory paperwork, there are no documented OEM manual transmission Caribbeans. Those which we know exist were conversions.

Come to think about it - there are dozens of Packards running today with owner-installed GM TH400s and Mopar Torqueflite 727s. It won't be long before we're being told these were factory options.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/11/24 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
"FWIW, the two manual transmission conversions I've seen looked really clunky, because they retained the large, low-set power brake pedal and added the smaller, higher-set clutch pedal. Hurt my eyes just to see it."

I am familiar with one 1954 400 convert with OD and Easamatic brakes......it does look clunky with the top hinged, low-set large brake pedal next to the "into the floor" clutch pedal.

I am pretty certain it is a factory setup, but it does look odd to see the clutch that much higher than the brake, with one pedal hanging and the other going into the floor.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe this is a typical pedal set up with the manual transmission cars equipped with power brakes - even those prior to the V-8s.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 15:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here's a '55 Clipper with manual trans and power brakes. It's too bad the clutch pedal isn't on there, it would give you a better idea on the fitment and the level of the pedals.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.79 KB)
34_4b0c7206b09d4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/24 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Is that the overdrive control there under the dash to the right of the steering wheel? Never saw one of those on a V8 Packard before.

If the pedal sits directly atop the lever in that position, it wouldn't seem that it would be too high, but maybe the lever is partially depressed in the photo. Still, it's obvious these cars were meant to have automatic transmissions, or the layout would be much more elegant. How long do you suppose it would take some stoplight hero to burn out a clutch on one of these units?

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:30
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Tom Mix had both a 53 and 55 Caribbean with stick shift. And I believe he found them that way.

Years ago in NJ there was a 56 400 floating around with twin 4BBLs and factory stick shift. It was a very rough original car and probably got used for the parts.

George Hamlin has a 56 with stick shift and I was told it is factory.

I drove the stick shift Carribean and was impressed with the brawn. The car seemed more powerful than the Chrysler Hemi of those years.

However, I think that 727 Torqueflite will outperform a manual transmission even when handled by an expert.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm not sure, but I think you're right about the o/d control cable. As for the pedal positioning, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was also manual brakes. As for the pedal, it'll go either towards the top or the bottom, as it'll fit either way. That's what sucks about this pic, for one, it was taken with my cellphone, not the best camera in the world, and two, it's missing the pad for the pedal. I might grab a pedal pad and take it out there and stick it on there to take another pic with my good camera one of these days...

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved