Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 146

wjames, bkazmer, CarFreak, winger, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Hood to Cowl seal 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Trolling through my Steele Rubber Catalogue - as you do - I came across a seal stated to be for the 23rd Series ONLY.

I would like to know why one was not apparently fitted to the 22nd Series - were there complaints from owners that water was seeping into the engine bay ?

I've updated my car details today as we are now progressing with the restoration at a speed just faster than STOP !!

Best regards to everyone

Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/3 5:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood to Cowl seal 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you are referring to a rubber like seal in the"notch" in the hood next to windshield-my 47 has it.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks packard1949

The "notch" you refer to is that the "U" shaped groove you see in the attached photo which runs across the top of what we call the "bulkhead" and you the "cowl" ?

I thought that was to divert any water sideways and down and away but I suppose it could be to accommodate a seal ?

Any photos of a seal in this location would be appreciated

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (41.40 KB)
1329_4b1a56606be6e.jpg 423X318 px

Posted on: 2009/12/5 7:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Can't swear this is factory original but I think it is. The seal is located forward of the slot on the cowl (23rd Series).

Attach file:

jpg  (10.54 KB)
188_4b1c1317c703a.jpg 288X216 px

Posted on: 2009/12/6 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This is the cowl seal on my 21st series. Note that these cars have the depression on top of the cowl like the later series, but have the cowl vent, which the later ones don't have.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.66 KB)
565_4b1c319acbe15.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/12/6 17:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
John, is your seal glued in or does it have little "tits" that hold it in? If it's glued in I'd like to add one to my '48 eventually, but I don't want to drill any holes in the firewall if I can get by without doing it.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 2:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks JD in KC and JW for the interest and photos.

The point about holes is what started this topic because my 22nd series doesn't have holes either so I was puzzled by the seal in the Steele Rubber catalogue.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/7 8:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
John, is your seal glued in or does it have little "tits" that hold it in? If it's glued in I'd like to add one to my '48 eventually, but I don't want to drill any holes in the firewall if I can get by without doing it.

Eric, the seal is attached to the cowl with 11 sheet metal screws. It was this way when I bought the car.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 12:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thanks John for the info. I agree with Michael about the drilling of the holes, so I'm wondering if there's a stick on alternative that has the same cross section as the screw on one so those of us who would like to add it don't have to drill. I like modifications that can be easily reversed, and don't like to damage the car irreversibly. (contrary to popular belief)

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Since it "screws on". Just omit the screws, cut off any protruding bits from the bottom with a razor blade and use some 3M weather strip adhesive to attach it to the cowl in the appropriate place. You could even get some sheet metal screws and cut the head off of them, and glue the heads into the holes to give the illusion that it is screwed in place.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved