Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd Series Broken Door Handle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Stripping out all the chrome for my restoration we found one of the handles broken.

Anyone any experience of trying to repair themselves or any contacts for repairing or replacing ?

On the DIY front the best we can come up with is pushing it back together and inserting a stainless steel wire into the crevice around the inside edge and using "QuickSteel"over the top to give it a flat back - - any queries/ideas welcomed.

By the way another funny thing with the Steele Rubber Cat. the only pad between the handles and the door for the 22nd Series seem to be for one with TWO fixing screws - mine only has ONE fixing screw !! Am I reading this wrongly ?

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (77.81 KB)
1329_4b1a6f1138e39.jpg 564X423 px

Posted on: 2009/12/5 9:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series Broken Door Handle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
My 1948 has two screws, one big one on the outside towards the front and a smaller one on the inside of the door jamb. Both of my handles were broken as well, I had to get a "new" pair. The piece that broke is structural, and I don't think any fix would be strong enough to hold it through the use/abuse of opening the door. They break because the outside screw gets loose and people are too lazy to tighten them back up before they break.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Very early 22nd Series cars used the door handle with a single screw. They upgraded to the ones with 2 screws on later cars.

I may be able to help depending on which side it is from. Send me a PM.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 13:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks BDeB

I'd send you a PM - but I don't know what one is ?

Mine is a very early car - February 1948

I'll have to consult with my restorer to find out which side/door it is from !! - I'll post the result here.

Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/6 14:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
meaarch wrote: Thanks BDeB......I'd send you a PM - but I don't know what one is......Michael

Michael,

A PM is a personal or private message. One way to send one to BDeB is to go back to his post and click on his Forum name. This will open a window titled "All about BDeB", down the bottom of which is a PM Link button, click on that. Fill in the subject box, write your message and click on the Send button. Then when BDeB replies by PM the "Inbox", top left in User Menu, will show the number (1), click on Inbox and read the message, there you have it.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 14:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

Spoke to a Packard guy. He mentioned that those handles did seem to break there frequently. If nobody can help you here, look at e-bay. I found a good one there for not much. Now I have a spare handle and spring as well! What Turbo said is true, because the stresses on that part is great it is worthwhile to make sure that they are scrwewed down well and that the mechanism as a whole is nicely lubricated.

Greetings
Barrie

Posted on: 2009/12/8 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Barrie you are beating me to the forums every time !!

Best regards Michael

Update : 18-12-2009

Have now found one - I think - got to check out the position on the car though - meanwhile I've taken the broken one apart ( really easy actually )and repaired mine by thoroughly cleaning the two halves and "Superglue"-ing them together,then bending and cutting to size some appropriate sized wire to insert into the groove on the rear of the plate ( both sides ) putting a layer of "Quicksteel" in the groove and laying in the wire reinforcement then covering the wire till the groove on the back is full of "Quicksteel". I've left this overnight and yes you can see the hairline crack but the thing seems fairly robust. Next I'll get it to the car and try it out after reassembly and let you know if it stands up to opening and shutting.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 16:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here is an eBay listing for a handle that might help.

eBay

Posted on: 2009/12/19 0:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
I was able to solder on the backside for some of mine but in the end, I too purchased a set on Ebay.

Posted on: 2009/12/20 20:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved