Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 150

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Merlin Engine V-1560
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Guscha: I 2nd Owen's comment! Great to see those WWII manufacturing pix. I particularly enjoyed the woman's hands "precision finishing" some gears or plates with hand files!

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/19 16:47
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gerd thanks for finding those...great pics!

Not sure who owns those pictures, or what copyright exists on them. But if the are not explicitly copyrighted, then perhaps we should archive copies of those pictures here in the event they drop off wherever they are currently hosted.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 18:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Both, Merlin aero engines and the marine engines have been built at Packard's main East Grand Avenue assembly plant. Did it take place in a seperate building, apart from car production?

Posted on: 2012/1/11 9:43
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PAC's The Packard Cormorant, issue of Winter 2009 (#137), was dedicated to multiple articles about the facilities at 1580 E. Grand. In a fine article by historian A. J. Balfour there is mention of Building #22 which was completed in 1941 exclusively for the building of the Merlin-type engines. As I remember the marine engines were assembled and tested in the same building. There is a picture of that building in 2009, apparently unmolested and available for lease.

Pages 10 thru 13 are particularly interesting because they identify, circa 1949, what functions and activities were associated with each building and floor of the entire East Grand facility.

If you're really interested in the facility, it's a back issue to consider purchasing. PS - $8 each, postpaid.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
RogerDetroit posted some pictures as the Merlin Assy area currently appears.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=90751#forumpost90751

Posted on: 2012/1/11 10:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Ironically, this post goes hand in hand with "ideas on recruiting the next generation"...load them young uns' on a bus and take 'um to see a few Mustangs in action...I can't imagine any generation not appreciating the sight and sound of a P-51 flyby or flyover...if that doesn't grab 'um by the heart then nothing will...son? watch and listen!!!...thats a flying Packard right there!!!...

Posted on: 2012/1/11 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll attest to the phenomenal sound of a P-51 at speed. While taking a day cruise on the WWII Liberty ship John W. Brown from Providence RI to Narragannset Bay, we were "attacked" by a faux Zero and a Type 99 Val and then "saved" by a B-25 Mitchell and P-51 which flew over and by several times at low altitude and high speed. I'll never forget the scream from the Packard engine. The P-51 was "Glamorous Gal" owned and flown by Chris Baranaskas of Long Island, NY. It served with the RCAF for about 5 years after the end of WW II.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.51 KB)
177_4f0dccb84f912.jpg 1280X771 px

Posted on: 2012/1/11 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Wow Owen!...bet that whole cruise was an awesome adventure! I've heard 'um...watched 'um too and the whine of that two stage Wright supercharger is enough to bring tears to a mans eyes!...I'm in awe everytime I think about the engineering that went into the development of WWII aircraft but they out-did themselves with the P-51...guys that fly them now say that they are amazed that the pilots of the era could fly them as long and as far as they did...stating that the noise from the engine is excruciating and I'm sure it would be riding behind a what, 1500 H.P. mill with no exhaust system? They also say that the plane requires constant attention to fly it and is somewhat hard to correct and easy to over-correct but it is what it is...in it's day it was unmatched raw high performance...and still is on the racing circuit although I hate it when one goes down.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Gator, it was quite an experience. I went primarily because of a long-standing interest in steam-powered ships but at the same time I was trying to put myself in the position of those seamen who braved not only the elements but the threat of enemy attack, and how slim their chances for survival were when singled out for attack. Beyond anything I could contemplate.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
PAC's The Packard Cormorant, issue of Winter 2009 (#137), was dedicated to multiple articles about the facilities at 1580 E. Grand. In a fine article by historian A. J. Balfour there is mention of Building #22 which was completed in 1941 exclusively for the building of the Merlin-type engines. As I remember the marine engines were assembled and tested in the same building. There is a picture of that building in 2009, apparently unmolested and available for lease.

Dave, thanks, my interest was directed towards the building after reading that Packard delivered the first stateside Merlin engine by August 1941 according to Robert Neal. In that month Packard also introduced the 1942 cars. I wonder out loud if the Merlin effort and its entrepreneural risks or its anicipated success had an influence in the car production because the Merlin production was a tremendous effort. Take a look at the army of Packard draftsmen that labored over high-precision blueprints for the aircraft engine.
Thanks again for taking the time.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:01
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved