Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Custom Clipper on eBay
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I am interested in members opinions on the 55 Custom Clipper recently offered on eBay. It is the Rose and Black touring sedan that did not sell. No bids. It is supposed to have standard suspension. It looks like a nice car, but experts eyes on the car would help me decide if I want to pursue it. Thanks.

(o {} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/2 11:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Custom Clipper on eBay
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'll leave comments to the folks that are familiar with the V8s... but here's a link to the item: Link to eBay item

Posted on: 2010/1/2 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The car does appear in good low mileage condition & reasonably optioned. Appears to have a piece of broken chrome but should be easy to replace. Granted, I'm a bit behind the times but am thinking the price wanted is a bit high for a Clipper--even a good one-- and might be a reason for no sale twice.

Am wondering how the standard suspension came into picture as I see nothing mentioned & no way to tell without looking under. If in fact that is true then would be a rare car so maybe worth a few extra dollars. Also see an interesting something on the oil filter so would be a bit curious about what happened to spray or discolor it that way yet nothing else evident on the motor.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Am wondering how the standard suspension came into picture as I see nothing mentioned & no way to tell without looking under. If in fact that is true then would be a rare car so maybe worth a few extra dollars. Also see an interesting something on the oil filter so would be a bit curious about what happened to spray or discolor it that way yet nothing else evident on the motor.

HH56, the seller claims the car has conventional suspension. I have asked him to verify this with a photo. I too noticed the finish condition of the oil filter. The engine color is wrong and is a bad respray.

(o {} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/2 14:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Forgot about the color of engine. Looks like either it was painted 56 Clipper color or is a transplant so would be another question why.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The car is listed on Craigslist Pittsburgh
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1515328814
Also another older Packard
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/1514906650.html

Posted on: 2010/1/2 14:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'd wanna check the paint codes on the VIN tag, which can just be seen on the hinge pillar in the image of this car with the driver's door open. Upon first glance, I was tempted to say that this was a Sardonyx (Code R) and Onyx (Code V) two-tone. (The scanned chips make Sardonyx look darker than it really is.) However, Sardonyx was only available in two-tone with White Jade (Code M). I refer you to the 1955 dealer showroom album, which is archived here, with a section on paint and trim combinations. Also, remember that Rose Quartz (Code U) was only available on Caribbean.

I bet it turns out that this car was originally painted by the factory in White Jade over Sardonyx.

Then, I'd wanna see the numbers stamped on the engine block. Notice that the carb is a Carter WCFB, when 5562 models were factory-equipped with a Rochester 4GC. OF course, that could merely be a swap, but the top of the oil filter housing raises further suspicion. Isn't that the style they used in '56 (with the non-removable filter support washer)? Factoring in the inocrrect engine color, it is likely a swap from a '56.

It's probably a fine driver, but I'd be skeptical of its authenticity.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information

Posted on: 2010/1/2 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
ACOlds (Al) picked up on this from that 56 Clipper. It apparently does not have power brakes, but does have a power brake pedal.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.57 KB)
23_4b3fe756d0e71.jpg 792X612 px

Posted on: 2010/1/2 19:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Question the radio antenna on the right fender of the 56 Clipper - not kosher.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 22:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved