Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 53

Mike Chirco, William Grosz, remi, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Naming Etiquette
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Heres a question I would like to get some opinions on from this group. When a person registers for online forums on multiple sites, is it proper to use the same name?

Example: I'm registered here as mtpackard51. If I want to sign-up for something like the H.A.M.B., should I use the same screen name?

Also, is it acceptable to change you user name once you've joined a group? Or will others think there's something shady going on?

Thoughts anyone?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Naming Etiquette
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The Sites I've joined I've always used "Ozstatman".

Firstly, I don't know if it's proper, but for me it's a convenience of not having to remember multiple names and on which Site am I using which name? Then as a courtesy to other users who might be across those same Sites.

Regarding changing a username, besides causing confusion, it might be regarded with some suspicion, so probably best not to do so. Saying that, there might be circumstances such as two users having very similar user names and one could change so ensure that any chance of confusion is removed.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Use whatever name u want to whenever, where ever. This is the Internet. Not a sunday school class. No one is sending anyone a paycheck nor filling out a performance review for anyone else. I doubt that any of us are going to get honourable mention in Amy Vanderbilts Book of Etiquette or credits in the book of How to Win People and Influence Friends.

What's next??? We have to hold out pinky out when lifting a cup of tea????

USe whateVEr name u want to. That's what i do. Sometimes names are already taken and u have to use something else.

When someone starts sending me a paycheck then i'll use whatever name they want me to use. Until then :
I am the man with a BIG V8. Better known as PackardV8. (aka RenegadeV8).

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I agree with Mal that it gets confusing when people use different names. For instance, PackardV8 here is Keith L., PackardV8 on the Studebaker forums is Jack V. I'm known the world over as "Turbopackman" on all the automotive sites I frequent. If you keep the same name we'll all know who to blame!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah. But there is a problem. I was PackardV8 going back into the late 90's. Changed ISP's and PackardV8 was already taken. At AACA my logon was cancelled and had to register again under a different name. Would NOT let me use PackardV8. This list of problems goes on and on over the years. I've tried to stay with PackardV8 but it is not always possible.

No one has a copyright on a name. So use whatever u want to.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In the immortal words of James Fenemore Cooper:
"What's in a name?"

I rarely look at the name of a post. I just read the content. What does anyone really care about the authors name anyway??? It's the content of the post that matters.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I guess the reason I posted the question is that I've seen people use some more clever names,and I wished I'd put a little more thought to mine. Just curious how others have handled it in across forums. I know its not a serious issue, just wanting something more fun.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Under NO circumstances use your real name as your handle on a message board!

ROTFLMAO!

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Why?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think generally it is accepted that use try to stick with the same "handle" when possible. It makes it easier for people to find and contact you. Obviously that is not always possible when it is already in use by someone else.

I've seen people change their name especially if it is tied to a car. So if their name was 1921Packard. Then they sold that car, and bought a 1934. Then perhaps a name like 1934Packard is more appropriate. I would say a name that is more generic is the best that can be used across multiple forums of different topics.

If you had a name like TwinSix, then Packard people would understand the reference, but people on a DIY, or motorcycle forum would have no idea what it meant.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved