Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 143

JWL, moodydavid16, Andrew Sinclair, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 something....,
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Howdy,

I have just been given what is likely my grandfather's first car. Bought new by his uncle, it was driven into a garage in 1948, and stored in a couple of dry garages ever since. No broken glass, no cancer. The paint is broken around almost all intersections, and has surface rust. The upholstery, having housed a family of cats for a few years is a total loss. The real question is..., what is it? I don't have access to the car, as it is in Missouri. Before I came back home, I looked at the patent plate, assuming that it held all the answers. It shows manufacture(?)date of 7-23-28. serial #164775, Kansas City, MO. I have a 1930 owners manual that has a hand written note indicating 526 - but the manual is for an eight, the car is a six. So..., what is it? And as I undertake this project., well, where do I start?

Humbly,

Ray,

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 something....,
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ray, the date is the date of delivery to the customer. Based on your #, you have either a 526 or a 533, just measure the wheelbase to determine which (126 or 133 inches).

Something to remember is that in that era Packard didn't introduce new cars on an annual calendar basis, your car is a 5th Series and series ran for different amounts of time and some ran into the following year. I'll edit this tomorrow with the opening and closing dates of the 526-533 unless someone beats me to it. The Sixth series cars roughly correlate to 1929, so it would make sense that your car has been called a 1928.

Where do you start? Great question that I'll leave to others, but what are your expectations? If it means anything to you (and thankfully to some it doesn't), you could easily sink more $ into the car than it will ever be worth.

EDIT: 5th Series Single Six production commenced 7-1-27 and ran thru 8-1-28. The 526 was available in 5 body styles, and the 533 in 7; total production given as 41,750 units.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Its value is not a really a concern. It just has emmense coolness value to me, as a 1 family car. The original title still exists. I have 18 years to restore it for its centennial. It is a sedan, but I have no body numbers, so until I get it this summer, I will have to guess?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good for you, I have more into my cars than I could probably get out but it doesn't both me, I've had decades of pleasure and at times I feel more like a caretaker than an owner.

FYI, there was only 1 sedan in the 526 line, body style #303, sedan for 5 passengers. There were 3 in the 533 line, #304 sedan for 5-7 passengers, #305 - essentially the same as #304 but with a divider window, and #306, a club sedan for 5 passengers.

Send us a couple of pictures when convenient.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I will, but until fall, I am 1,000 miles away. More time for research. And the years have not been terribly kind...., but it was driven in, so it will shine again!!

Ray,

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ray17015 wrote:.......so it will shine again!! Ray,
G'day Ray,
to PackardInfo, with a great positive outlook like that I'm sure it will.

And a request of you - Could you please include your 526 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic and your family's history of it's ownership?

Posted on: 2010/2/18 23:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ray,
for including your '28 526 Six Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 16:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved