Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Paint or Powder Coat Rims?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i know powder coating is stronger and may last longer, but the shop cannot match the dupont paint code #44 for onyx black. they only have high gloss black. now, maybe there isn't much difference when the rims are on the car since the hubcaps will be covering most of it.

originality says to have them painted not powder coated, but who will really no the differnce....i probably couldn't tell.

the only difference i can see is the painted version would be matched to the dupont code and the powder coating wont be, but will be a stronger coating.

thoughts everyone?

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2010/2/24 18:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: Paint or Powder Coat Rims?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though normally I'd go in the direction of a true paint match, I don't really think it will make much difference, unless you really mean hub cap where you said so, because the little hub cap leaves quite a bit of the wheel exposed. But if you will be using shell or wheel covers, all that remains to be seen is so small I really doubt anyone would ever notice it.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i mean wheel cover, not the little cap.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 19:36
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I would just get a couple of rattle cans of Rustoleum gloss black black and paint them. Why waste the money on having them powder coated.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/2/24 19:41
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well, it's only 25 a rim for powder coating...that's not that bad. painting i would suspect would be more.\

plus weren't the rims painted the factory color, etc...when they were new?

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:08
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Powder coating also somewhat protects the rim from future rust damage. I've seen cases of a great paint job on a wheel, but its still rotting underneath due to moisture in the paint.

I'm thinking a contrasting color, like red, is out of the question?

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:14
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, rims were painted to match the body color, but I've yet to figure out an all-encompassing rule for which color on two-tones. I used to think they were painted to match the darker body color, but we've found exceptions.

Then, one of my '56 Patricians was originally painted Dover White over Corsican Black (MV), but the rims are Tangier Red. However, I notice GM cars of the same era that were painted white also had their rims painted red.

Anyway, I'd expect the rims on your Clipper to be Onyx Black.

Quote:
...but the shop cannot match the dupont paint code #44 for onyx black. they only have high gloss black.

I'm confused. What's the difference between Onyx Black and high gloss black?

Supplier paint chips show DuPont Duco #44 and Ditzler DAL-9200 for BOTH the 1955 Onyx Black (Code V) and the 1956 Corsican Black (Code V). I believe those are very common supplier codes used that were used for several years and other brands - not just Packard. The Corsican Black on my '56 Pat looks like high gloss black to me - except where it has oxidized, but will polish right back up.

IMHO, the appearance of powder coat doesn't even come close to the gloss of lacquer or even modern basecoat/clearcoat finishes - best left for more utilitarian items.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
No difference other than if I get them painted they can exact match code 44, if I go powder they just have generic black in satin, semi, or high gloss.

I will probably go with painting. Most likely onyx, thought about the citrine to contrast but the rims were onyx black when I got the car, all though faded.

But citrine would be kinda cool too.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:19
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you do decide to paint them, just make sure to use a quality 2-part (catalyzed) epoxy primer. That will seal the rim and resist rust. Non-catalyzed primer tends to absorb moisture, while epoxy doesn't.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Hank: The price of $25.00 per rim isn't a bad price per rim.
Does the firm your looking to do the the powder coating do the powder coating that is suppose to look like chrome?

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:46
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved