Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Updating Packard Owner Registry Entries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
PackardInfo currently has 585 Packards recorded in the Packard Owner's Registry. Many entries are detailed with the features, condition and history of the Packard in question while many more are not. It is those entries with little detail I am concerned about. While some might not want to divulge too much information about their Packard/s for reasons of security or privacy, I'm sure most want to showcase their Packard/s by including them there. Accordingly I am requesting those Packard owners whose Packard Owner's Registry entry is short on detail to consider reviewing, adding to or updating their entries to give a more complete picture of their car. It's easy to do this at any time after the initial Packard Owner's Registry entry is made. Just open your entry and click on the Make Changes field at the bottom of the entry, make your changes, additions or updates then return to the bottom and click on the "Save Changes" button. And VOILA! There you have it, an updated Packard Owner's Registry entry. Some of the entries are very interesting, some very funny, some not so fortunate but all can tell a story.

Also related to this request is that a picture of your Packard be part of your Packard Owner's Registry entry. There are size limit restrictions applying to pic's as well as the type of pic file compatible with the PackardInfo Site. Kev, or some of the more computer literate, may be able to provide some advice on this aspect for those of us who are "technologically challenged". It certainly helps to make a Packard Owner's Registry entry if a pic is included.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 22:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Updating Packard Owner Registry Entries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I would also like to ask that owners with older entries not only validate the year and series of their registry entries, but check the model number and name. I've noticed several entries where model number and name are incorrect or missing.

It's not that I am trying to be an anal-retentive conformist, but having complete and consistent information of that type will ensure that entries on the Registry homepage are properly group and sorted for the viewer.

As Mal continues to foster the growth of this feature, all this good info might lend itself to some interesting statistical analysis of the surviving vehicle demographic.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BH wrote: I would also like to ask that owners with older entries not only validate the year and series of their registry entries, but check the model number and name. I've noticed several entries where model number and name are incorrect or missing.
.......all this good info might lend itself to some interesting statistical analysis of the surviving vehicle demographic.
Brian,

Noticed the same thing when I did my clean up review of the Packard Owner's Registry last year. But because of my inexperience let this go and concentrated on cleaning up things like duplicate or blank entries and only obvious errors, even to my untrained eyes, of the Year, Series or Model Number. With the new drop down list feature for these fields, it is only the older entries which allowed free text which could now require update. I urge all members to review their entries to gain consistency across these fields.
Pity you changed the last paragraph. I was preparing a reply to it, along the lines of " did he say", when it disappeared into cyberspace and on returning to the post found you had simplified the language used. As I said, Pity!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mal -

I still find several entries with missing model number among the 55-56-57-58 cars, but also noticed a 54 Clipper Deluxe with a complete VN in the model number field.

Clearly, the drop-down menus that BigKev has since intergated into the Add function have gone along way to keep new entires fairly tidy. However, it appears that the drop-down menus are not available for the "Make Changes" (edit) function. Perhaps that is something BigKev can look into.

Meanwhile, I will PM you with a list of a handful of entries that I spotted with with missing/incorrect model numbers identified. Fixing just the model number will help grouping on the Registry homepage.

Sorry if I cut in on your reply to that shape-shifting paragraph of mine.

Thoughts often come to me faster than I can type. Yet, what looks good while composing a post doesn't always read quite right in the actual thread, and I go back to work on it straightaway. Also, I had included an idea that, upon further reflection, might be premature to bring up at this point, yet was difficult to put into words. I'll hold that card for another day.

Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2010/2/26 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BH wrote:.......However, it appears that the drop-down menus are not available for the "Make Changes" (edit) function. Perhaps that is something BigKev can look into. Meanwhile, I will PM you with a list of a handful of entries that I spotted with with missing/incorrect model numbers identified............
Brian,
You're sure doing a lot of work on the Site, for everything you do for PackardInfo.

Because the old entries contain details in free text maybe they have been "grandfathered" and "protected" by Kev from the drop-down menu's because of compatibility problems?

Thanks for the PM with the details of the missing/incorrect model numbers. Unfortunately I don't have direct access to enable correction, but I'll PM all the PackardInfo members concerned asking them to do so, but it will be dependent on what can happen regarding the drop-down menu's.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 16:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mal -

Well, I give a lot to PackardInfo because it gives us so much more than any other site.

You might be surprised to know that I was highly skeptical when BigKev first launched P'Info some years ago. You see, I've seen too many attempts to launch a new site for Packard enthusiasts, only to watch them fail. Yet, PackardInfo really delivers the goods.

I also see a lot of potential benefit coming from the Owner Registry feature as it continues to grow.

Now, do the drop-down menus only appear for editing those newer entries that were Added using same? I have no way to check that since my cars were among some of the earliest entries. I had merely assumed that the step-by-step approach of drop-down menus in the enhanced add function was not directly compatible with the all-at-once approach of the edit function for ANY of the entries.

Meanwhile, I'm fine if the list I PMed simply helps you to follow-up with members to edit their entries.

Cheers to all who help make this site what it is - long live P'Info!

Posted on: 2010/2/26 18:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved