Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

front wheel bearing oil seals Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
okay, so i took the front drums off today to finish some stuff i forgot to do. well while i was in there i notice i installed the oil seals wrong and now they are ruined.

so.....why is there no section in the service manual on how to install these along with the bearings etc.....seems weird.

the seals i got are from MAX and they are National 6456

1 3/4" inside diameter
2 7/16" outside diameter

they barely go over the hub. i can push them onto the back of the hub then put on the drum, but am not sure if they are set good in the drum at that point. if i put them into the drum they get pushed into the wheel bearing when i put the drum on.

but what i think i did wrong was i tapped them into the drum until they touched the wheel bearing. so are you supposed to put them on the hub first and then put the drum on with the bearing?????

i am confused.......i feel like an idiot....

Hank

Posted on: 2010/3/19 20:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: front wheel bearing oil seals Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Quote:
Napa had the wheel cylinders in stock for about $11 bucks a piece. I also had to buy new seals as the existing ones were shot. I found out that for some reason the '54 uses a different seal than the '53 or the '55's. The seal in the '54 is National 6456 (Napa NOS17131 $14.99), I belive the 53 or 55 seal is National 5975. I confirmed the one year status looking at the Max Merrit website. They list a different part number for '54. The '54 seal is actually cheaper in price than the pre 53, 55 seals. Weird.

this is from Big Kev's blog. but i think it is flawed a bit....the oil seal i have is national 6456 and that was from Max's Website....so kev....how did you get these NOS17131 Napa ones to fit.....what did i do wrong? also i am guessing the napa ones are probably better as the national 6456 are a felt version and napa looks to be rubber.

thanks,

Posted on: 2010/3/19 21:16
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it's worth, Packard wasn't alone in providing no instructions. Checked earlier years as well as Cadillac, Chevy and Stude manuals and some general use Motors and Chilton repair manuals.

All mention installing the seal but not one gave any detailed information. Best was 54 Cadillac with an exploded photo of components but not much else. Guess that is something all mfgs assumed their mechanics were blessed with innate knowledge on how to do.

To answer your question, insert the greased bearing and set it in cup, then oil seal with lip facing inside toward grease, then put all on spindle and install the outer bearing and nut. There are some youtube pieces that might help but one with a guy changing a trailer bearing and seal was brutal so can't really recommend that method.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 22:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You're not the first guy to ruin a part on the install, and you won't be the last.
I tap the seal in till it is flush with the edge of the drum surface. I tap it around just gently forcing it into the opening. When done, the edge of the drum and the surface of the seal should be on exactly the same plane, not deep enough into the drum to touch the bearing.
Where is Gerd with a good picture?

Posted on: 2010/3/19 22:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy,

That is basically how I installed my seal. The oil seal is designed to be seated into the drum and then installed onto the spindle as an assembly. I am not sure how you would get in to evenly seat into the drum if you put it on the spindle first.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 12:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The lack of comment in manuals on how to install grease seals is because everyone back then knew how, and it was intuitive - kind of like Microsoft Windows!

Posted on: 2010/3/20 14:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Uh-oh, bad example. I am just learning on a new computer - Windows 7 and it aint so damn intuitive. I learned about grease seals by watching my brother-in-law. I also noted what the old one looked like. Does anyone think Dave is picking on me??

Posted on: 2010/3/20 16:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
okay so i went to the local autozone and just started looking through all their seals trying to find a close match.

here is what i came up with:

TIMKEN 1012N

it fits over the hub and even stretches a bit to make the seal. it goes into the drum tightly too.

the only difference is that it is slightly thicker and has the spring, which i would think was better anyways.

what do you guys think....will it work okay?

it is only $5.99 too...;0)

here are the napa numbers to compare the original to the one i found today.

NAPA NOS17131 is the same as NATIONAL 6456 and here is the link: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NOS17131_0214015725

NAPA 17736 is the same as the TIMKEN 1012N and here is the link: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NOS17736_0214009563

they are very very very similar. not quite perfect, but very close!

thanks,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (109.39 KB)
491_4ba5381475816.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.37 KB)
491_4ba5382d55afd.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (113.25 KB)
491_4ba5384ea2243.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (118.06 KB)
491_4ba5386c2a028.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (130.66 KB)
491_4ba538a0af026.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (136.92 KB)
491_4ba538fa834a4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/20 16:07
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Windows 7 and it aint so damn intuitive.

Amen to that. I switched to Mac about 8 years ago on my personal machines and never looked back. Unfortunately the equipment I work on is all windows so almost need a tranquilizer before touching them most of the time. All the stupid issues they are prone to and convoluted and hidden way of doing things boggles the mind.

EDIT As long as the thickness isn't deep enough to touch the bearing and so tight on the spindle that a bit of lube can't moisten the seal lip it should work fine.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 16:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks HH56....it is not that tight on the spindle, so i think it will be fine. i will take a pic of it on the spindle and update the post with that.

edit: and no the depth is only 2MM more than the old one and it doesn't touch the bearing from what i can tell, i will post a pic of that too.

if this works out....may have found a WAY cheaper solution for the Packard! WOOHOO GO ME!

and windows 7.....I LOVE IT! and XP....guess it is what you work with. i have 8 machines with XP at home and 4 others with windows 7. i like windows xp for the work horse it is and i like windows 7 for the new added features. mac.....what's that....only mac thing i have is the iphone.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 16:24
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved