Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 173

Chuck McDonald, BigKev, Ozstatman, su8overdrive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Oil
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
I recently did an oil change on my '56 Clipper Deluxe: The car hasn't been run in a while and the engine was cold when I did it. I know typically you want the engine to be warm but I was still waiting on my fuel pump to come in so there was no warming it up. I've been told that when a car has been sitting oil has a tendency to settle in the pan so it's probable that I drained more out of the car than maybe if it had been warm and circulating? Anyway, I got my fuel pump on and went to do another quick check of everything before I started it. When I checked my oil level there wasn't any oil on the dip stick. I know that some systems have to be run to circulate the oil through before it reaches the pan but I don't want to risk it if that's not the case here. Is that the case on a car like this or should it already be there?

And by the way, the drain plug is back on the oil pan so I didn't just dump 5 quarts of oil onto the ground

Posted on: 2010/4/3 18:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
No, you do not need to run a wet sump engine for oil to be in the pan. Add oil.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/3 18:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
New oil is close to being transparent on a dip stick and can be hard to see, especially for these tired old eyes, but you should be able to see the level indicated. The freshly added oil should just settle in the sump(pan) except for the little that pools in nooks or clings to surfaces.

Posted on: 2010/4/3 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Thank you, I finally found the oil line on the dip stick and it's Low so I'm thinking I should add more oil to it but I already put in 5 quarts.

Posted on: 2010/4/3 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC mine took a little more than 5 qt's. when i was using oem oil pan.

Make sure the dip stick is going all the way down to the collar near the finger loop. Make sure the collar has not slipped down on the stick. On my 56 Executive the oil pump float interfered with the end of the dip stick when fully inserted. I had to cut about 1/2 inch from bottom of dip stick to keep it from chafing the float.

Also check the dip stick tube to be sure it is screwed all of the way into the flange on the side of the pan.

Measuer the dip stick from collar to the full mark on the dip stick. Measure length of dip stick from collar to lower tip of dip stick. Report back the measurements.

Mite also measure the length of the dip stick tube from oil pan flange to top of tube.

For now just go ahead and fill the engine until it shows at the full mark. In the meanwhile we will analyze the measurements when u get time to make them.

Note that the dip stick TUBE is nothing more than a piece of 1/4 inch pipe with a pipe thread on the end. So it is possible that maybe someone replaced it with a piece of standard 1/4 water pipe at one time and got it too long.

Possible that the tube flange in side of pan may have broken out at one time was incorrectly replaced. The flange is just sweated to the pan. Maybe have the wrong dip stick that was replaced from another car. Without measurements it's difficult to diagnose.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 6:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTW. U're relatively new to P'info.com so none of us here know how familiar u are with general shop practices.

When working underneath a car be absolutely sure the car is well supported by good quality jack stands. A jack is for lifting the car ONLY. A jack is NOT for supporting the car while u are working under the car. Mechanical, and hydraulic jacks are not to be trusted for supporting the car. They are strictly for the process of lifting the car. Jacks can AND DO collapse. Only after jack stands have been placed under the car in an appropriate manner is it safe to go under the car.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 7:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Thank you, I will have to check all of those things and I will get back to you on it.

I appreciate the concern. In the case that I do need to raise the car up I am always sure to put jack stands under it. My Dad and husband were very thorough about teaching me the safety of it all. Although, as I am only 5 ft tall and all of 120lbs I can typically belly crawl and roll over under it (I've got lots of room to move). I am still learning the general shop practices but up to date I've had some pretty good teachers and thanks to this site many more.

I'm doing it on my own now because my parents moved back to AZ and my husband is on a church mission for the remainder of the year. Just recently did I start doing all of the things that needed to be done. I'm pretty well finished and she'll be road ready as soon as I finish this one and replace the stoplight switch. I'm always open to learning and any advice that anyone has to offer in more than welcome. If I already know something I don't mind hearing it again-I'm young and like most young people sometimes I need reminding.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 7:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Dip stick going all the way down to the collar-check
Dipstick from collar to full mark- 20 in.
Dipstick from collar to lower tip-22 in.
Dipstick tube to tank between 23 ? & 24 in. as the tape measure had a bend in it.

Everything seems to be tight and in place. I had to back it up and move it to the other side of the garage this morning and the oil level is showing higher on the dip stick than before without adding more oil?

Posted on: 2010/4/4 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Could be the slope of the garage floor, who knows. Don't overcomplicate this, the likelihood of it being anything more than needing to add just a bit more oil is slim to none on a car this un-monkeyed with.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/4 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Albuton.
Those measurements are for the TRANSMISSION oil dip stick. NOT the engine oil dipstick. The engine oil dipstick is about 4 inches toward the front of the car from the one u measured.

When u put oil in the engine where did u pour the oil into????

Posted on: 2010/4/6 21:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved